The General Catalogue of Variable Stars (GCVS) is a list of variable stars in the Milky Way Galaxy[a]. Its first edition, containing 10,820 stars, was published in 1948 by the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, edited by Boris Kukarkin and Pavel Parenago. Second and third editions were published in 1958 and 1968. The fourth edition, containing 28,435 stars, was published in three volumes in 1985–1987. Later, two more volumes were published: the fourth volume containing reference tables and the fifth volume containing extragalactic variable stars. The first release of the fifth edition (GCVS 5.1), which is periodically updated, currently contains 58,035 variable stars; it is available at the GCVS website and at the VizieR astronomical catalogue service.
- The fourth edition also included a list of extragalactic variable stars, but the fifth edition is no longer updating it.
- Kulikovskij, P. G. (June 1978), "B. V. Kukarkin, 1909 October 30 - 1977 September 15", Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society, 19: 247–248, Bibcode:1978QJRAS..19..247K
- Schweitzer, Emile. "The names and catalogues of variable stars". Association Française des Observateurs d'Etoiles Variables. Translated by Vialle, Jacques. Retrieved March 21, 2023.
- Samus, N. N.; Durlevich, O. V.; Kazarovets, R. V. (March 1997), "The General Catalog of Variable Stars (GCVS)", Baltic Astronomy, 6: 296–299, Bibcode:1997BaltA...6..296S, doi:10.1515/astro-1997-0229.
- Samus', N. N.; Kazarovets, E. V.; Durlevich, O. V.; Kireeva, N. N.; Pastukhova, E. N. (2017). "General catalogue of variable stars: Version GCVS 5.1". Astronomy Reports. 61 (1): 80. Bibcode:2017ARep...61...80S. doi:10.1134/S1063772917010085.
- "GCVS Introduction". General Catalogue of Variable Stars. Retrieved March 21, 2023.
- GCVS website
- General Catalogue of Variable Stars (Samus+, 2007-2017) at the VizieR service