|Headquarters||Cambridge, Massachusetts, Palo Alto, California, New York, New York, San Francisco, California United States|
|Joel Cutler, David Fialkow, Larry Bohn, Phil Libin, Adam Valkin, David Orfao, Hemant Taneja, Steve Herrod, Niko Bonatsos|
Number of employees
General Catalyst is an American venture capital firm focused on early stage and growth investments. The firm was founded in 2000 in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and also has offices in San Francisco, Palo Alto and New York City.
It has invested in companies such as The Honest Company, Outdoor Voices, Grammarly, Snapchat, Neverware, Stripe, Airbnb, Deliveroo, HubSpot, Datalogix, and Warby Parker. General Catalyst also helps to incubate companies, examples including KAYAK, Naturebox, Altiscale and Highfive. General Catalyst sponsors a student-led fund called Rough Draft Ventures for students to invest in their peers on college campuses throughout the United States.
General Catalyst was founded by John Simon, Joel Cutler, David Fialkow and David Orfao in 2000. In 2011, the firm opened its Palo Alto office and shortly after raised a $500 million fund. In 2013, it announced a $675 million fund followed by a $845 million fund in 2016. In 2018, the company raised $1.4 billion for its ninth fund.
General Catalyst has ten managing directors: Larry Bohn, Joel Cutler, David Fialkow, Bill Fitzgerald, Steve Herrod, Niko Bonatsos, Trevor Oelschig, Hemant Taneja, Adam Valkin, and Holly Maloney McConnell.
Among the firm's investments are: 
- Black Duck Software
- CCP Games
- Elemental Technologies, Inc.
- Gusto 
- Hands-On Mobile
- Highwinds Network Group
- The Honest Company
- Julia Computing
- Outdoor Voices
- Plum District
- Unlock Protocol
- Virtual Instruments
- ViTrue, Inc.
- Visible Measures
- Warby Parker
- WEGO Health
- "Strategy". Retrieved July 9, 2014.
- "About". Retrieved July 9, 2014.
- "Contact Us". Retrieved July 9, 2014.
- "General Catalyst leads Series B round for Elysium Health - PE Hub". PE Hub. 2016-12-06. Retrieved 2017-08-13.
- "General Catalyst Raises $675M Seventh Fund". All Things D. December 23, 2013. Retrieved July 9, 2014.
- "THE NEXT GENERATION OF FOUNDERS".
- "Venture firm General Catalyst loses co-founder". Fortune. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "Xconomy: General Catalyst Bags $1.4B for Ninth Fund as Tech Investors Go Big". Xconomy. 2018-03-26. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "General Catalyst raises $1.4B for new fund". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "Our Team". Retrieved July 9, 2014.
- "Steve Herrod Joins General Catalyst", TechCrunch, January 16, 2013
- "", TechCrunch, April 7, 2016,
- Hemant Taneja: It’s About Building Relationships, The Wall Street Journal, September 4, 2013
- "General Catalyst hires its first female managing partner - The Boston Globe". BostonGlobe.com. Retrieved 2017-10-23.
- "General Catalyst Partners CrunchBase Profile". CrunchBase. Retrieved 2014-07-09.
- Boxee Adds $6 Million Second Round; Aims To Take On Microsoft, Apple In Living Room. Reuters, Aug 12, 2009 cached[dead link]
- Steve O'Hear (15 October 2015). "Schoolwork Q&A Site Brainly Scores $9M Series A To Answer The U.S. Expansion Question". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- Jordan Crook (15 January 2015). "Classpass Is In Session With $40 Million In Series B". TechCrunch. Retrieved 17 March 2015.
- https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-31/payroll-startup-gusto-raises-140-million-in-funding. Missing or empty
- "demandware founder stephan schambachs newstore". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- "This 27-year-old CEO is taking on Lululemon and Nike". www.cnbc.com. 2016-05-02. Retrieved 2017-12-08.
- Clancy, Heather (May 19, 2016). "Can This Startup Become the Corporate Version of Google?". Fortune. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- . July 24, 2018 https://medium.com/unlock-protocol/unlocking-some-exciting-news-5ad0f3889375. Missing or empty
- Former President of Tandberg Television, Reggie Bradford, Together with General Catalyst Partners, Launches ViTrue, Inc.: World’s First User Created Advertising Platform Archived 2008-01-16 at the Wayback Machine May 8, 2006
- "The Power of Human Capital | Jack Barrette, WEGO Health: StartUp Health NOW #208". StartUp Health HQ. Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- WonderHowTo.com Soars Past 100,000 How-To Video Mark. Reuters
- General Catalyst (company website)
|This article about a private equity or venture capital firm based in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|