General Commission for Audiovisual Media
|Headquarters||Riyadh, Saudi Arabia|
|Parent department||Ministry of Media|
The General Commission for Audiovisual Media (GCAM; Arabic: الهيئة العامة للإعلام المرئي والمسموع, romanized: al-Hy'eh al'Amah lel-E'elam al-Mar'ey wal-Masmoo') is a government organization in Saudi Arabia was founded in 2012 and responsible for the development, regulation, and supervision of audio-visual media transmission and content within the country. GCAM reports to the Ministry of Media and is independent in terms of finance and administration.
GCAM conducts and regulation and policies audiovisual activities in accordance with Kingdom’s “media policy” as well as provides related services to facilitates the content broadcasting. furthermore, it issues and manages licenses for audiovisual media transmission and content. GCAM is also responsible for technical issues and specifications related to the media such as providing the approval for the frequency spectrum, media transmission devices. In August 2016, GCAM introduced Saudi Arabia's official age rating system for video games.
In December 2018, The General Commission of Audiovisual Media chaired by Ministry of Culture and Information (currently Ministry of Media) announced the re-opening the cinema in the Kingdom where the commission would be responsible for granting licenses to cinemas.
- "Authority to monitor audiovisual media". Arab News. 2012-09-04. Retrieved 2019-03-19.
- "General Commission of Audiovisual Media -- GCAM". Linkedin. 19 March 2019.
- "New Saudi authority for the regulation of Audio and Visual Media". Al Tamimi & Company. Retrieved 2019-03-19.
- Jisr, Lynn (15 August 2016). "Gcam Implements New Rating System in Saudi Arabia". IGN Middle East. Retrieved 15 September 2019.
- "التصنيف العمري للألعاب الإلكترونية" (in Arabic). General Commission for Audiovisual Media. Retrieved 15 September 2019.
- "Cinemas to re-open in Saudi Arabia as of 2018, Ministry of Information confirms". Arab News. 2017-12-11. Retrieved 2019-03-19.
- Dudley, Dominic. "Saudi Arabia Lifts Ban On Movie Theatres At Last". Forbes. Retrieved 2019-03-19.