General History of the Zhuang
|Author||Huang Xianfan, Zhang Yiming, Huang Zengqing|
|Genre||Zhuang History, History|
|Publisher||Guangxi National Press|
|Media type||Print (Paperback, Hardcover)|
General History of the Zhuang (Traditional Chinese: 壯族通史; Simplified Chinese: 壮族通史; pinyin: Zhuàngzú tōng shi) is an academic book which relatively systematic and comprehensive response Zhuang history written by Chinese historian Huang Xianfan. The first draft completed in 1981 and after finishing by Huang Xian Fan’s students published by the Guangxi National Press in 1988. The work won the 1990 Highest Prize for Social Sciences of the Guangxi. "It is the first General History of the Zhuang in Chinese history and considered is the most innovative, scientific and academic theoretical value for the classical history book of the 20th century in China".
Contents and argument
"This book is based on a wealth of historical materials, explores in detail the origin of the Zhuang and has a comprehensive introduction to the Zhuang’s various historical periods of political, economic and cultural aspects of development. It provides a great deal of valuable information for research into the history of the Zhuang. The book has a very high value of academic research, the accumulation of values and deep historical and practical significance".
Huang's major argument in the book is that he had consistently argued against ethnical chauvinism.[clarification needed] He believed that the crux of ethnic problems was caused by ethnic inequity, which had a major influence on ethnic conflicts in history. Professor Huang advocated the equality of each of the world's ethnic groups and a "spiritual civilization with scientific attitude" on ethnic studies. By active practice, he became a forerunner of the Zhuang studies in the 20th century. People therefore called him a master of Zhuang studies.
Huang Xianfan had always emphasized "the importance of independent academic research", and of pioneering studies, academic freedom as his lifelong aspirations. His academic principle was to "stay honest and not obey the authorities". He believed that the motto of academic research was "no authorities, no ends, no prohibitions". Professor Chen Ji Sheng pointed out: "the connotation of Professor Huang's academic theory was to connect traditional Chinese history studies to western new history theory in order to complement his favorite Puxue of Qing dynasty, Gu Yanwu's theory of Jing Shi Zhi Yong with modern American Robinson's New History".
- chapter one: Guangxi Zhuang is the indigenous peoples(p. 1-59)
- chapter two: Primitive society(p. 60-140)
- chapter three: Shang and Zhou Dynasty(p. 141-171)
- chapter four: Qin and Han Dynasty(p. 172-225)
- chapter five: Three Kingdoms, Jin, Southern and Northern Dynasties(p. 226-274)
- chapter six: Sui, Tang and Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms Period(p. 275-308)
- chapter seven: Song and Yuan Dynasty(p. 309-353)
- chapter eight: Ming and Qing Dynasty(p. 354-414)
- chapter nine: Republic of China Period(p. 415-515)
- chapter ten: Culture and arts(p. 516-651)
- chapter eleven:Life and customs(p. 652-741)
- chapter twelve: Ancient Zhuang people's struggle against(p. 742-785)
- chapter thirteen:Modern Zhuang people's struggle against(p. 786-830)
- conclusion:Zhuang people's contribution to the motherland(p. 831-836)
- appendix:History Table of Cities and counties in Guangxi Zhuang region(p. 837-880)
- Postscript:(p. 881-882)
- Shen Fengming. The historical and cultural celebrities in Guilin. Guangzhou: New Century Press, p.147, 2005. ISBN 7-5405-2950-4/K·29.
- Abstract of national book: 1949-1989. Yunnan: Yunnan Education Press, p.626-627, 1991. ISBN 7-5415-0474-2/Z·5.
- A Master of the Zhuang studies. Nanning: Guangxi's daily, 3-9-2002.
- Chen Jisheng. On Professor Huang Xianfan’s Practice and Construction to Chinese 20th Century's New History. Nanning: Guangxi ethnic studies, vol.1, 2007. ISSN 1004-454X.
- «ZHONG GUO REN MING DA CIDIAN», Shanghai: Shanghai Lexicographical Publishing House, p. 1861,1992. ISBN 7-5326-0207-9/K·34.
- The founder of modern Chinese Ethnology - Huang Xianfan (Chinese中国现代民族学奠基人之一黄现璠) www.china.com.cn/中国网