General Motors India

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
General Motors India Private Limited
Industry Automotive
Founded 1995
Headquarters Halol (Registered Office)
Gurgaon (Marketing Office)
Key people
Mr. Kaher Kazem, President and MD
Products Automobiles
Number of employees
Parent General Motors (93%)
Subsidiaries Opel India Private Limited
Chevrolet Sales India Private Limited

General Motors India Private Limited is a partnership between General Motors and SAIC that is engaged in the automobile business in India. General Motors has 93% stake in this partnership and the remaining 7% is held by SAIC.[1] It is the 5th largest automobile manufacturing company in India after Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai, Tata Motors and Mahindra.After 21 years of operations in India, General Motors announced that it will stop selling cars in India by the end of 2017, as a part of its global restructuring actions.[2]


General Motors began doing business in India in 1928, assembling Chevrolet cars, trucks and buses, but ceased its assembly operations in 1954. GM continued with tie-ups with Hindustan Motors to build Bedford trucks, Vauxhall cars, Allison Transmissions and off-road equipment.

In 1994 GMIPL was formed as a joint venture, owned 50 percent by Hindustan Motors and 50 percent by General Motors, to produce and sell Opel branded vehicles. GM bought out the Hindustan Motors interest in 1999.[3][4] GMIPL continued to produce Opel cars at the Halol facility until 2003, when it started production of Chevrolet vehicles at that location.

In 2000, GMIPL moved its headquarters to Gurgaon. In 2003, the company opened its technical center operations in Bangalore, which included research and development and vehicle engineering activities. The technical center operations were expanded to include purchasing and financial support services for General Motors operations located outside of India (2006), vehicle engine and transmission design and engineering (2007) and a vehicle design studio (2007).

GMIPL began construction of a second vehicle assembly plant in Talegaon in 2006, which began production of Chevrolet vehicles in September 2008.

In late 2009, General Motors announced that it would put its India operation into a 50-50 venture with Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation of China, which is the partner of GM's main venture in China.[5]

In October 2012, General Motors-Chevrolet announced that it has increased stake in its Indian subsidiary to 93% by buying 43% from its Chinese partner SAIC for an undisclosed sum.[6]

Manufacturing facilities[edit]

GMIPL operates vehicle manufacturing plants in Halol, Gujarat and Talegaon Dabhade, Maharashtra, It maintains headquarters in Halol and Gurgaon and a large technical center in Bangalore. Its Halol and Talegaon Dabhade manufacturing plants have a combined production capacity of 225,000 vehicles annually.[7]

Sales, service and marketing business[edit]

Like most other automotive companies in India, GMIPL appoints independently owned dealers to sell, service and market vehicles that it produces. As of August 2008, managed the Chevrolet dealership network (including export dealers located in Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Bhutan) from its headquarters in Gurgaon, and regional zone offices in Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai. Likely to be only export unit India

GMIPL also sells parts and services to independent vehicle maintenance providers under the AC Delco brand. GM India's sales declined to 6079 units in May 2012, while the figure last year same month was 8329 units.[8]

Emission regulation controversy[edit]

In July 2013, GM India announced a recall of 114,000 units of the Tavera. After the recall, an internal probe revealed that GM India were violating Indian testing norms. According to the internal probe, some GM India employees were putting tuned higher emission engines which had already failed tests. 25 Employees were fired following the incident and GM India would also have to pay a ₹23 million ($358,000) fine.






  • None


See also[edit]

External links[edit]