Generation Investment Management
|Independent, private, owner-managed partnership|
London, England, U.K.
|Headquarters||London, England, United Kingdom|
|San Francisco, United States (US office)|
|Al Gore, Chairman
David Blood, Senior Partner
Mark Ferguson, Co-Chief Investment Officer
Miguel Nogales, Co-Chief Investment Officer
Peter Harris, Chief Operating Officer
Colin le Duc, Founding Partner
Number of employees
Generation Investment Management LLP (Generation) is a sustainable investment management firm, founded in 2004. It was co-founded by former US Vice President Al Gore and Goldman Sachs' Asset Management head David Blood.
It's mission is to deliver superior investment performance by consistently taking a long-term view and fully integrating sustainability research within a rigorous framework of traditional financial analysis. Generation has offices in both London and San Francisco and employs 87 people. Generation Investment Management LLP is authorized and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK.
Generation views sustainability as an organizing imperative of the new global economy. It has built a global research platform to integrate sustainability research into fundamental equity analysis. Its professionals seek to identify sustainable businesses that provide goods and services consistent with a low-carbon, prosperous, equitable, healthy and safe society.
The firm’s advisory board, chaired by Al Gore, meets twice a year. The board consists of business leaders, industry experts and other luminaries. The board helps establish a macro framework of trends and ideas.
Generation was founded in April 2004 by a group of seven founding partners led by Al Gore and David Blood. The firm began investing client money in April 2005. Its breakthrough was integrating the disciplines of finance and sustainability. Rather than existing on the periphery, ESG factors such as the social and environmental impact of a product, the sustainability of a market and labor relations became central to the conversation and, as a result, leading indicators of whether a company would do well.
Later in 2005, Generation helped to establish the Enhanced Analytics Initiative to support sell-side research into long-term sustainability risks and opportunities and one of the founding partners joined the initial working group responsible for bringing the UNPRI to life.
In November 2007, Generation and Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (KPCB) announced a global collaboration to "find, fund and accelerate green business, technology and policy solutions with the greatest potential to help solve the current climate crisis." As part of the collaboration, prominent KPCB Partner John Doerr joined Generation's Advisory Board. In this year, Generation also attended the Bellagio Summit, where the term 'Impact Investment' is coined.
In 2008, Generation launched the Climate Solutions Fund I, the first fund of its Growth Equity strategy to invest in innovative, high-growth companies making an impact in the transition to a low carbon economy. Three years later, in 2011, Generation launched the Asia Equity Strategy focused on Asian and Asia-exposed companies.
In 2015, Generation launched the Sustainability Insights Series, releasing “Environmental Intelligence” and “The Power Industry in Transition.” In the same year, Generation became a Certified B Corp.
- The Alliance for Climate Protection (Repower America)
- World Resources Institute
- Natural Resources Defense Council 
- The Climate Project
- Levy, Rachael (October 23, 2017). "$18 billion fund manager started by Al Gore and a Goldman Sachs exec sets sights on Silicon Valley". Business Insider.
- McGeveran, Elizabeth. "Sustainability Focus, Extraordinary Performance". McKnight Foundation.
- "About Us", Official web site, Generation Investment Management LLP, archived from the original on May 4, 2010, retrieved May 25, 2010
- "Generation Investment Management and Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers Create International Alliance to Accelerate Global Climate Solutions" (PDF). Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and Generation Investment Management. November 12, 2007. Retrieved May 25, 2010.
- Muoio, Danielle (June 13, 2017). "The 'Tesla of buses' raises $55 million from Al Gore's investment arm as it eyes an IPO". Business Insider.
- Generation Investment Management
- Announcement of collaboration with KPCB
- Generation Investment Management Profile from the Financial Times (requires log-in)
- For People and For Planet, a 3/28/06 op-ed in The Wall Street Journal by Al Gore and David Blood
- We Need Sustainable Capitalism, an 11/5/08 op-ed in The Wall Street Journal by Al Gore and David Blood
- When Principles Aid Performance, an article about the firm from the Financial Times
- Generation Announces Plans For New Investment Management Firm, the November 2004 press release
- SEC Regulatory Information and Disclosed Holdings
- Al Gore's Inconvenient Profit