|Directed by||Lauren Greenfield|
|Written by||Lauren Greenfield|
|Music by||Jeff Beal|
|Distributed by||Amazon Studios|
Generation Wealth was selected to be the opening night film at the 2018 Sundance Film Festival in the Documentary Premiere program. The film received its European premiere at the Berlin International Film Festival (aka Berlinale 68), where it was featured in the Panorama program. Other festivals include SXSW and CPH:DOX. The film was distributed by Amazon Studios and released in theaters on July 20, 2018.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 46% based on 99 reviews. The website's critical consensus reads, "Generation Wealth has admirable aims, but never manages to focus long enough to put together the type of cogent argument made by director Lauren Greenfield's earlier works." 19 out of 35 reviews by top critics on Rotten Tomatoes were negative.
Nick Allen of RogerEbert.com wrote that the film was "a stunningly deeply resonant documentary about notions as seemingly obvious as the value of love over wealth itself." Jeannette Catsoulis of The New York Times wrote, "Darting from micro to macro and back again, squashing obscene consumption against child beauty pageants and ruinous debt, its structure makes for an unfocused thesis," adding that "the through line... works." Joseph Walsh of Time Out gave it four out of five stars, writing that the film "lays bare society’s obsession with affluence and excess with scalpel-sharp insight" and "makes for bleak and compelling viewing." Joe Morgan's Wall Street Journal review stated that the film was "all over the place, to the point of inducing numbness or suffocation." In The Independent, Geoffrey McNabb wrote:"... director Lauren Greenfield is a brilliant photographer but her film is all over the place."
- Catsoulis, Jeannette (19 July 2018). "Review: 'Generation Wealth' Examines Toxic Materialism". New York Times. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- "2018 Sundance Film Festival: Generation Wealth".
- "2018 Sundance Film Festival: Feature Films Announced".
- "Generation Wealth selected to screen at Berlinale 68".
- "Generation Wealth to screen at SXSW in Austin". Archived from the original on 2018-08-22. Retrieved 2018-09-07.
- "Generation Wealth to screen at CPH:DOX Festival in Denmark".
- "Hollywood Reporter - "Sundance: Amazon Doc 'Generation Wealth' Gets Summer Release Date".
- O'Leary, Lizzie (17 July 2018). ""Generation Wealth" is about more than money". Marketplace.org. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- Generation Wealth, retrieved 2022-01-14
- Allen, Nick. "Sundance 2018: Shirkers, Generation Wealth, Colette". RogerEbert.com.
- Walsh, Joseph (12 July 2018). "Generation Wealth". Time Out. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- Morgenstern, Joe. "'Generation Wealth' Review: Lifestyles of the Rich and Heinous". WSJ. Retrieved 2022-01-14.
- "Chaotic documentary Generation Wealth charts America's obsession with celebrity". The Independent. 2018-07-19. Retrieved 2022-01-14.
- McNary, Dave (17 February 2019). "WGA Awards 2019 Winners: 'Can You Ever Forgive Me?,' 'Eighth Grade' Win Screenplay Awards". Variety. Retrieved 20 February 2019.