Genes, Brain and Behavior
|Discipline||Neuroscience, genetics, behavioral sciences, psychiatry|
|Edited by||Andrew Holmes|
|Delayed, after 2 years; hybrid|
|ISO 4||Genes Brain Behav.|
Genes, Brain and Behavior (also known as G2B) is a peer-reviewed online-only scientific journal covering research in the fields of behavioral, neural, and psychiatric genetics. It is published by Wiley-Blackwell on behalf of the International Behavioural and Neural Genetics Society. The journal was established in 2002 as a quarterly and is currently published monthly. G2B is a hybrid open access journal, but two years after publication all content is available for free online.
Overview and history
Genes, Brain and Behavior is published by Wiley-Blackwell on behalf of the International Behavioural and Neural Genetics Society. Volume 1 appeared in 2002 and issues appeared quarterly. As submissions increased, the journal switched in 2003 to a bimonthly schedule, in 2006 to 8-times-a-year, and in 2014 to a monthly frequency. Content is available online from the Wiley Online Library or, after a 12-month embargo, from EBSCOhost. Authors can elect to have accepted articles published as open access. All content is available online for free 24 months after publication. The journal was originally published in both print and electronic versions, but since 2014 the journal is online-only.
In its third year, Genes, Brain and Behavior was available in 1400 academic libraries. According to the Journal Citation Reports, its 2020 impact factor is 3.449, ranking the journal 152nd out of 273 journals in the category "Neurosciences" and 16th out of 53 journals in the category "Behavioral Sciences".
The five journals that as of 2016[update] have cited Genes, Brain and Behavior most often, are (in order of descending citation frequency) PLoS ONE, Genes, Brain and Behavior, Scientific Reports, Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews, and Behavioural Brain Research. As of 2016[update], the five journals that have been cited most frequently by articles published in Genes, Brain and Behavior are The Journal of Neuroscience, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Nature, Science, and Neuron.
The journal has developed standards for the publication of mouse mutant studies. Many mouse mutant studies have serious methodological problems leading to fatally flawed scientific conclusions, causing a waste of time, effort, and research resources, and leading to ethical problems because of the unnecessary use of live animals for flawed studies. These standards are gradually being accepted more widely in the field.
Abstracting and indexing
Genes, Brain and Behavior is abstracted and indexed in:
- Academic Search Premier
- Biological Abstracts
- BIOSIS Previews
- CSA Animal Behavior Abstracts
- CSA Biological Sciences Database
- CSA Neurosciences Abstracts
- Dietary Supplements
- Elsevier BIOBASE
- Index Medicus
- ProQuest databases
- PsycINFO/Psychological Abstracts
- Science Citation Index Expanded
Most cited articles
- Rubenstein JL, Merzenich MM (2003). "Model of autism: increased ratio of excitation/inhibition in key neural systems". Genes, Brain and Behavior. 2 (5): 255–67. doi:10.1034/j.1601-183X.2003.00037.x. PMC 6748642. PMID 14606691.
- Moy, SS; Nadler, JJ; Perez, A; Barbaro, RP; Johns, JM; Magnuson, TR; Piven, J; Crawley, JN (2004). "Sociability and preference for social novelty in five inbred strains: An approach to assess autistic-like behavior in mice". Genes, Brain and Behavior. 3 (5): 287–302. doi:10.1111/j.1601-1848.2004.00076.x. PMID 15344922.
- Nadler, JJ; Moy, SS; Dold, G; Trang, D; Simmons, N; Perez, A; Young, NB; Barbaro, RP; Piven, J; Magnuson, TR; Crawley, JN (2004). "Automated apparatus for quantitation of social approach behaviors in mice". Genes, Brain, and Behavior. 3 (5): 303–14. doi:10.1111/j.1601-183X.2004.00071.x. PMID 15344923. S2CID 11058928.
- Pagel, Mark (7 May 2004). "The order in a billion sequences". Times Higher Education. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "Genes, Brain and Behavior". Wiley Online Library. Wiley-Blackwell. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- "List of journals". Academic Search Complete: Magazines and Journals. EBSCO Publishing. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "OnlineOpen". Genes, Brain and Behavior. Wiley-Blackwell. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "Author Guidelines". Genes, Brain and Behavior. Wiley-Blackwell. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- Holmes, Andrew (2012). "Genes, Brain and Behavior: At the vanguard of behavioral and genomic neuroscience". Genes, Brain and Behavior. 11: 1. doi:10.1111/j.1601-183X.2011.00760.x.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Neurosciences". 2020 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Clarivate Analytics. 2021.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Behavioral Sciences". 2020 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Clarivate Analytics. 2021.
- Crusio WE, Goldowitz D, Holmes A, Wolfer D (February 2009). "Standards for the publication of mouse mutant studies". Genes, Brain and Behavior. 8 (1): 1–4. doi:10.1111/j.1601-183X.2008.00438.x. PMID 18778401.
- Crusio, Wim E. (2004). "Flanking gene and genetic background problems in genetically manipulated mice". Biological Psychiatry. 56 (6): 381–385. doi:10.1016/j.biopsych.2003.12.026. PMID 15364034.
- "European Journal of Neuroscience: Instructions for authors". Wiley Online Library. Wiley-Blackwell. Retrieved 30 August 2009.
- Editorial (September 2009). "Troublesome variability in mouse studies". Nature Neuroscience. 12 (9): 1075. doi:10.1038/nn0909-1075. PMID 19710643.
- "Genes, Brain and Behavior: Overview". Wiley Online Library. Wiley-Blackwell. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "Genes, Brain and Behavior". MIAR: Information Matrix for the Analysis of Journals. University of Barcelona. Retrieved 22 April 2019.
- "Biological Abstracts - Journal List". Intellectual Property & Science. Clarivate Analytics. Retrieved 22 April 2019.
- "Master Journal List". Intellectual Property & Science. Clarivate Analytics. Retrieved 22 April 2019.
- "Embase Coverage". Embase. Elsevier. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Genes, Brain and Behavior". NLM Catalog. National Center for Biotechnology Information. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "PsychINFO Journal Coverage". American Psychological Association. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- "Source details: Genes, Brain and Behavior". Scopus preview. Elsevier. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- "Genes, Brain and Behavior". Science Citation Index Expanded. Web of Science (Science ed.). Clarivate Analytics. 2017.