The exterior of the Genesian Theatre from Kent Street
|Address||420 Kent St|
|Public transit||Town Hall railway station, Sydney|
The Genesian Theatre is an amateur theatre company based in Sydney, Australia, named in honour of Saint Genesius, patron saint of actors. Formed in 1944 by members of the Sydney Catholic Youth Organisation, it has since evolved into a community theatre in the heart of the Sydney central business district.
Description and history
The Genesian Theatre has been operating from historic St John The Evangelist Church in Kent Street since January 1954. St John's Church dates from 1868. It has served as both a church and a poor school until 1932 when it became the Kursaal Theatre, housing the Sydney Repertory Company. In 1938 it became the first Matthew Talbot Hostel.
Membership is open to any members of the community that are over the age of 18. Members are invited to participate in all aspects of theatre production, including acting, designing, back-stage work, directing and administration.
The Genesian Theatre produces six main stage productions each year as well as running classes, workshops, and many other activities.
In September 2017, the Catholic Church advised Genesian that they had sold the building to a developer for over $6 million and that the theatre company would be required to vacate by November 2018. The company later negotiated with the new owner of the building to remain at Kent st until 2020. The church is heritage listed.
- Genesian Theatre: History
- The Matthew Talbot Hostel. (August, September and October Meetings)
- Spicer, David (10 September 2017). "Sydney's historic Genesian Theatre Company forced out by Catholic Church, ending 60-year tradition". ABC News. Sydney. Retrieved 9 October 2017.
- McNab, Heather (20 September 2017). "Genesian Theatre Company looks for a new home after 60 years in historic CBD church". Daily Telegraph. Sydney. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- "The Sale of the Genesian Theatre's Historic Premises". Genesian Theatre Company. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- Kary, David (2019-07-07). "PERSUASION @ THE GENESIANS". sydneyartsguide.com.au. Archived from the original on 2019-07-07. Retrieved 2019-07-09.
- "A Strong Future for the Genesian". Retrieved 15 July 2019.