|Also known as||Geneviève Elverum|
Loretteville, Quebec, Canada
|Died||July 9, 2016
Anacortes, Washington, U.S.
|Labels||L'Oie de Cravan|
|Associated acts||Phil Elverum|
Geneviève Castrée Elverum, born Geneviève Gosselin (9 April 1981 – 9 July 2016) was a Canadian cartoonist, illustrator, and musician from Quebec. She once recorded under the name Woelv and later switched to Ô PAON.
Castrée grew up reading Tintin comics from an early age, so much so that she eventually entered, studied for, and won a Tintin competition. From an early age, Castrée was drawing comics influenced by artists she loved such as Hergé, Renée French, Chester Brown, Julie Doucet, and Argentinian artist Quino. 
Castrée began her cartooning career in her teens publishing minicomics. Montreal publisher L'Oie de Cravan published her first book Lait Frappé in 2000, followed by Roulatheque Roulatheque Nicolore in 2001, but it was her masterpiece Pamplemoussi in 2004 that launched her into the international spotlight in both the comic and music world. Pamplemoussi was an unconventionally large book at 12" by 12" as it also included an LP of music that accompanied her drawing. Pamplemoussi was Castrée's first musical release and her first major movement to integrate her music and visual art into one cohesive practice.
After the release of Pamplemoussi, Castrée went on to release eight albums under the names Woelv (2004-2007) and Ô PAON (2007-2016), all with her own artwork, as well as collaborations with fellow northwest musical icons Karl Blau and Lori Goldston.
In 2013 Drawn and Quarterly released what would be Castrée's last image book, Susceptible--a memoir that chronicles Castrée's childhood growing up in Quebec and eventual movement to British Columbia. In November 2015 L'Oie de Cravan published her final book "Maman Sauvage" a book of poems in French, under the name Geneviève Elverum.
She was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2015, shortly after the birth of her and Elverum's only child. In June 2016, a GoFundMe account was set up by Elverum to assist with their finances. She died on July 9, 2016.
- Lait Frappé, L'Oie de Cravan, 2000.
- Die Fabrik Reprodukt, 2000.
- Roulathèque Roulathèque Nicolore L'Oie de Cravan, 2001.
- Pamplemoussi L'Oie de Cravan, 2004.
- Masques Sweet Dream Press, 2007.
- Susceptible Drawn & Quarterly, 2013
- Maman Sauvage', (poetry, as Geneviève Elverum) L'Oie de Cravan, 2015.
Collaborations and appearances
- Welcome Nowhere by Thanksgiving, P.W. Elverum & Sun, 2004.
- No Flashlight by Mount Eerie, P.W. Elverum & Sun, 2005.
- Karl & Geneviève, with Karl Blau, 7" record, TAUS 002 Disques Ô PAON, 2011.
- The Watery Graves of Portland and/et Geneviève, with The Watery Graves of Portland, Marriage Records, 2007.
- Mount Eerie Pts. 6 & 7 by Mount Eerie, P.W. Elverum & Sun, 2007.
- Clear Moon by Mount Eerie, P.W. Elverum & Sun, 2012.
- Already Drowning by Aidan Baker, Gizeh Records, 2013.
- Sauna by Mount Eerie, P.W. Elverum & Sun, 2015.
- Pamplemoussi LP, L'Oie de Cravan, 2004.
- Gris, CD-EP & 10" record, P.W. Elverum & Sun, 2006.
- Le niveau de la mer/Bête à Cheval, 7" record, K Records, 2007.
- Tout Seul Dans La Forêt En Plein Jour, Avez-vous Peur? K Records, 2007
Woelv compilation appearances
- Le Béluga on Trust In Sirens: What The Heck Fest 2004, Kelp Monthly, 2004.
- Réconciliation on Flotsam and Jetsam: What The Heck Fest 2005, Kelp Monthly, 2005.
- Le Déserteur (Boris Vian) on Free The Bird: What The Heck Fest 2006", Kelp Monthly, 2006.
"Ô PAON" releases
- a)b)c)d)e), 7" record, TAUS 001 Disques Ô PAON, 2009.
- Courses, CD/LP, TAUS 003 Disques Ô PAON, 2010.
- Quatorze/Quanze Ans, 10" record, TAUS 004 Disques Ô PAON, 2013.
- Fleuve, LP, TAUS 005 Disques Ô PAON, 2015.
"Ô PAON" compilation appearances
- Raffinerie on What The Heck Fest 2007, Charming Tedious, 2007
- Les Cerfs-Volants on The Second Marriage Compilation, Marriage Records, 2007.
- Le Retour on No Band is an Island, Knw-Yr-Own, 2008.
- Nunavik on Songs For The Arctic Ocean, Beat is Murder Records, 2009.
- Adam Baumgold Gallery. March 20, 2008. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "Band To Watch: Woelv." Stereogum. October 11, 2007. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "True tales: Daniel Johnston, double-edged." guardian.co.uk. November, 26 2008. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "A WOELV Interview." The Lumière Reader. November, 19 2008. Retrieved 2010-04-18.[dead link]
- "Geneviève Castrée: 1981-2016 | The Comics Journal". www.tcj.com. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- Clough 2016.
- "Ô Paon". www.opaon.ca. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- Yoo, Noah. "Geneviève Elverum Has Died". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 10 July 2016.
- Monroe, Jazz. "Phil Elverum Seeks Donations for Wife's Cancer Treatment". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 10 July 2016.
- Geneviève Castrée's official website
- "Ô PAON"'s official website
- Pitchfork review for "Tout seul dans la forêt en plein jour" by Woelv
- Naomi Fry, The Geneviève Castrée Interview, The Comics Journal, April 17, 2013