|Born||25 September 1990|
Oamaru, New Zealand
|Height||183 cm (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||76 kg (168 lb)|
Genevieve "Gen" Behrent (born 25 September 1990) is a New Zealand rower.
Behrent was born in Oamaru in 1990. She received her schooling at Southland Girls' High School in Invercargill. Behrent had planned to start her tertiary education at the University of Otago in 2010 when she received her call to the New Zealand rowing squad. She moved to Cambridge to be at the New Zealand training centre at Lake Karapiro and studied at the University of Waikato instead.
She never took up rowing while at high school; it was at Lake Ruataniwha in November 2008 when she supported her younger brother at a rowing regatta that she was asked by Southland coach John O'Connor whether she wanted to try rowing herself as she had the right physical attributes. Only 14 months later, she was nominated for the New Zealand under-23 squad to compete at the 2010 World Rowing U23 Championships in Belarus, something that O'Connor termed "astonishing". Her brother, Oliver Behrent, went to the World Rowing Junior Championships in the same year. Her first club was the Waihopai Rowing Club in Southland and she later rowed for the University of Otago. Behrent took 2014 off from competitive rowing for tertiary study. She won a silver medal at the 2015 World Rowing Championships with the women's eight, qualifying the boat for the 2016 Olympics. She also competed in the coxless pair in Rio and with Rebecca Scown won silver, beaten by the Heather Stanning and Helen Glover of Great Britain. With the women's eight, she came fourth at the Rio Olympics. In November 2016, she announced that she would take 2017 off from rowing. She has started a career in the banking industry and did not return to rowing for the 2018 season either, but has not announced to Rowing New Zealand that she has retired from rowing.
- "Genevieve Behrent". International Rowing Federation. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- "Genevieve Behrent". New Zealand Olympic Committee. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- Savory, Logan (6 March 2010). "Genevieve Behrent's stellar rise continues". The Southland Times. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "Oliver Behrent". International Rowing Federation. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Genevieve Behrent". Rowing New Zealand. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Rio Olympics 2016: Silver for Genevieve Behrent and Rebecca Scown in women's pair". The New Zealand Herald. 12 August 2016. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- Anderson, Ian (7 September 2015). "New Zealand eights surge into Olympic medal contention at world champs". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- Alderson, Andrew (14 August 2016). "Rio Olympics 2016: Gold for Mahe Drysdale". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Rowing pair Hamish Bond and Eric Murray put golden partnership on hold". The New Zealand Herald. 18 November 2016. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- Anderson, Ian (23 November 2017). "World champions remain absent". The Press. p. B8. Retrieved 24 November 2017.