Geng: The Adventure Begins
|Geng: The Adventure Begins|
Malaysian theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Nizam Razak|
|Produced by||H.J. Burhanuddin|
|Written by||Muhammad Anas Abdul Aziz|
|Starring||Nur Fathiah Diaz
Balqis Fadhullah Lee
Kee Yong Pin
|Music by||Mohamed Azfaren Aznam
|Edited by||Yong Pin|
|Distributed by||Grand Brilliance|
|Budget||RM 4 million|
|Box office||RM 6,314,526|
Geng: The Adventure Begins (Malay: Geng: Pengembaraan Bermula, originally Geng: Misteri Hantu Durian) is a 2009 Malaysian 3D computer animated family feature film. The film is produced by Les' Copaque and released in Malaysian cinemas beginning 12 February 2009. Geng was launched in a ceremony held on 11 September 2007 together with short animated series Upin & Ipin that have connections with the film. Planning for the film began in late-2005 as Les Copaque commenced operations. It received financial support from ICT-related agencies such as Multimedia Development Corporation and MIMOS.
Bored with nothing to do for their school holidays, Badrol invites his best friend Lim to go on a camping trip at his old Kampung where he grew up, with intentions to experience some long-forgotten true Malaysian life in his Grandfather’s durian orchard. However their simple holiday trip is cut short by the discovery of a clue that leads them closer to the rumours of the mystery house deep in the forest. Together with their newly found friends, Raju the animal-whispering boy, Ros the village beauty, and her two cute twin brothers, Upin and Ipin, they work together to unravel the secrets surrounding the small Kampung.
- Amir Izwan as Badrol
- Kee Yong Pin as Lim
- Nur Fathiah Diaz as Upin & Ipin
- Balqis Fadhullah Lee as Ros
- Kannan Rajan as Raju
It took two years, RM 4.7 million and 40 local animators to complete Geng, which director Mohd Nizam Abdul Razak compares as cheap against Western animation budgets worth "around RM15 million to RM40 million" and "about 130 to 150 animators". Les'Copaque Production's Managing Director, Burhanuddin Md Radzi, told that planning the film began when Mohd Nizam, Muhammad Usamah Zaid and Mohd Safwan Ab Karim met him to read out their plan. In terms of cost-saving, he said that the computers were bought from Low Yat Plaza with modifications of their own, besides financial and logistic support from MDeC, Mimos Bhd and MOSTI". Maya and MentalRay were employed as the main 3D animation software. Nizam added that supply from Mimos worth millions of ringgit allowed Les' Copaque to perform rendering in only six to eight months compared to the usual over-one-year period, as well as saving costs. Geng was completed in August 2008 at 108 minutes, and was previewed to invited guests from MDeC, Finas, Mimos, RTM, Media Prima, Astro and the press. It had been shortened to 90 minutes on the advice of Finas to please the cinema operators. Les' Copaque was also busy completing the Upin & Ipin shorts for television which somewhat disrupted post-production of Geng. Les' Copaque prepared five original Geng reels, three of which were sent to Kantana Group in Bangkok, Thailand for audio mixing. On November 2008, Les' Copaque announced the Censorship Board's approval of their film without cuts and permission to screen by Finas. The music for Geng is mainly composed by Yuri Wong, who also composed music for the related animated series Upin & Ipin, along with Mohamed Azfaren Aznam, who contributed music as a second composer.
Les' Copaque has been reported to place targets ranging from RM5 million to RM10 million, and even RM100 million after considering international distribution plans. Geng opened on 12 February 2009 to incredible public response and rave reviews. On its first week in Malaysian cinemas, it gained RM2.3 million at the box office. As of 1 April, it was confirmed that Geng had amassed RM 6,314,526 of ticket sales throughout its seven weeks on Malaysian silver screens, in a rare event in which a Malaysian film has single handedly defeated an array of major foreign releases, which at that time included Oscar nominees Slumdog Millionaire and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
Box office chronology
|Days of screening||Cumulative sales|
|4 days (15 February)||RM 1.75 million|
|7 days (18 February )||RM2.3 million|
|11 days (22 February)||RM3.7 million|
|14 days (25 February)||RM 4.09 million|
|18 days (1 March)||RM4.8 million|
|26 days (9 March)||RM 5.72 million|
|35 days (18 March)||RM 6.011 million|
|39 days (22 March)||RM 6.24 million|
|43 days (26 March)||RM 6.28 million|
|49 days (1 April)||RM 6.31 million|
- International Film Festival for Children, Indonesia
- Anugerah Pilihan Penonton (People's Choice Awards)
- 22nd Malaysian Film Festival
- 2 Jury's Choice Awards (box office, animated feature film with distinctive characters)
- MSC Malaysia Kre8tif! Industry Awards
- Best Editor (Mohd Faiz Hanafiah)
- Best Music/Score (Yuri Wong)
- Sinema Malaysia
- Phui Yee, Yam (18 February 2009). "Daring adventures". R.AGE (the Star). Retrieved 21 February 2009.
- Zainal, Ramlah (2 February 2009). "Filem animasi Geng sasar RM5 juta". Harian Metro. Retrieved 14 February 2009.
- Hanif, Afiq (14 January 2009). "Animasi 3D pertama telan RM4j". Harian Metro. Retrieved 18 February 2009.[dead link]
- ""Geng: The Adventure Begins" Status Quo". Les' Copaque Production. 5 October 2008. Retrieved 18 February 2009.
- "Geng in Film Reel". Les' Copaque Production. 14 November 2008. Retrieved 18 February 2009.
- ""Geng: Pengembaraan Bermula" Is Coming To Town". Les' Copaque Production. 26 November 2008. Retrieved 18 February 2009.
- Abdul Latiff, Nurulhisham (25 August 2008). "Geng sasar kutipan RM100 juta". Utusan Malaysia. Retrieved 18 February 2009.
- "Kutipan cecah RM2.3 juta". Harian Metro.[dead link]
- "Geng: Jelajah Malaysia ....Habis". Les' Copaque. 6 April 2009. Retrieved 16 April 2009.
- Husni Abdul Hamid, Zul (19 February 2009). "Sambutan Geng luar biasa". Berita Harian. Retrieved 21 February 2009.
- Lee Zhiang Yang, Ezekiel (18 February 2009). ""Geng" takes RM1.75mil". Cinema Online. Retrieved 21 February 2009.
- Azira Abdul Aziz, Siti (25 February 2009). "Geng: Pengembaraan Bermula bakal kutip RM4 juta selepas dua minggu". mSTAR. Retrieved 1 March 2009.
- "Oh Negara Ku". Les' Copaque. 26 February 2009. Retrieved 1 March 2009.
- "Gengmania". Les' Copaque. 2 March 2009. Retrieved 3 March 2009.
- "Ye!...Ye!...dah lebih RM5 juta". Les' Copaque. 10 March 2009. Retrieved 12 March 2009.
- "Kutipan cecah RM2.3 juta". Cinema Malaysia.
- "Tolong!!! Sikit Lagi!!!!". Les' Copaque. 23 March 2009. Retrieved 30 March 2009.
- "Geng: RM6.28 juta dan masih lagi mengira". Tupai. 26 March 2009. Retrieved 30 March 2009.[dead link]
- Mazalan, Rozdan (11 August 2009). "Upin & Ipin dapat pengiktirafan lagi". Berita Harian.
- Festival Filem Malaysia ke-22 – Pencalonan. Accessed on 2 January 2010.
- "MSC Malaysia Kre-8tif! Industry Awards Winners". The Malay Mail. 28 December 2009. Retrieved 2 January 2010.
- Official website
- Geng: The Adventure Begins at the Internet Movie Database
- Production blog of Geng: The Adventure Begins