January 2012 (Vol 75, No. 1) issue
|Former editors||Bill Larsen, Jr. & Irene Larsen (1953-1990)|
Dante Larsen (1990-1993)
Dante Larsen & Erika Larsen (1993-1994)
Erika Larsen (1994-1998)
|Publisher||The Genii Corporation|
|Founder||William Larsen, Sr.|
|First issue||September 1, 1936|
|Company||Pitchford Entertainment, Media and Magic|
|Based in||Washington, DC|
Genii, The Conjurors' Magazine is the largest selling magazine in the world devoted to magic and magicians. It is a monthly magazine first published in September 1936, currently edited by Richard J. Kaufman and owned by Randy Pitchford. The magazine is based in Washington, DC.
Genii was founded by William Larsen, Sr. in 1936, and it was published as the official organ of the Pacific Coast Association of Magicians, which had been founded in 1933. The original print run was 750 copies, which went down to 500 for the second and third issues. Upon Larsen's death in 1953 it was subsequently edited and published by his wife Gerrie Larsen, son William Larsen, Jr. and his wife Irene Larsen, grandson Dante Larsen, and granddaughter Erika Larsen. In 1998, it was sold to The Genii Corporation headed by magic author Richard Kaufman.
Genii appears as both a conventionally printed magazine and a digital edition, which includes audio and video supplements. Subscribers also receive free access to all 77 years of Genii's back issues.
Genii's roster of columnists have included: David Britland, Eugene Burger, Al Cohen, Dani DaOrtiz, John Gaughan, Andi Gladwin, Roberto Giobbi, Helder Guimaraes David Kaye, Ian Kendall, Chris Kenner, Homer Liwag, Max Maven, Jon Racherbaumer, Jim Steinmeyer, Dustin Stinett, Tom Stone, Daniel Ulin, and Caleb Wiles.
Past columnists have included Dai Vernon, Charlie Miller, Jules Lenier, Guy Hollingworth, Luke Jermay, Harry Lorayne, David Acer, Michael Close, Bob Farmer, James Swain, Paul Cummins, and Jamy Ian Swiss.
- Maven, Max (December 2012). "75 Years of Genii". Genii. Vol. 75 no. 11.
- "William W. Larsen Jr.; Co-Founder of Magic Castle - latimes". Articles.latimes.com. 1993-02-12. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- Thomas J. McLean (2006-09-14). "Castle casts spell on Larsen clan". Variety. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- "Nielsen Magic - Larsen Family Poster Print". Nnmagic.com. 2010-12-06. Archived from the original on 2016-01-18. Retrieved 2016-01-08. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "William Larsen Sr". Magic in Wisconsin. Archived from the original on 2013-11-14. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Women in Magic: The Magic Castle Tribute to Geri Larsen". Remarkable Magic. 2012-05-16. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- Haunted Hollywood: Tinseltown Terrors, Filmdom Phantoms, and Movieland Mayhem by Tom Ogden
- Alfredson, James B.; Daily, George L. (1986). A Bibliography of Conjuring Periodicals in English: 1791 – 1983. York, Pennsylvania: Magicana for Collectors. pp. 328–30.
- "Genii and The Magic Castle reunite in new deal". Magicaean World Magic News. Archived from the original on 14 November 2013.
- Saturday (2008-09-20). "The Magic Newswire - Magic News - PODCAST :: RICHARD KAUFMAN :: GENII". Linkingpage.com. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- "Magic News, Magic Videos and Podcasts » Blog Archive » Kaufman Offers Lifetime Genii Subscription For $1000". Itricks.com. 2008-11-08. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- Byrne, Brendan (2012-01-16). "IrishMagicNews.com". Irish Magic News. Retrieved 2016-01-08.