Gennadi Vasiliyevich Sarafanov
|Born||January 1, 1942|
|Died||September 29, 2005(aged 63)|
|Rank||Colonel, Soviet Air Force|
Time in space
|2d 00h 12m|
|Selection||Air Force Group 3|
Gennadi Vasiliyevich Sarafanov (Russian: Геннадий Васильевич Сарафанов; b. January 1, 1942 in Sinenkiye, Saratov Oblast, Russia – d. September 29, 2005, Moscow) was a Soviet cosmonaut who flew on the Soyuz 15 spaceflight in 1974. This mission was intended to dock with the space station Salyut 3, but failed to do so after the docking system malfunctioned.
He only made a single spaceflight before resigning from the space program in 1986 and lecturing in technology.
He was awarded:
- Hero of the Soviet Union
- Pilot-Cosmonaut of the USSR
- Jubilee Medal "In Commemoration of the 100th Anniversary since the Birth of Vladimir Il'ich Lenin"
- Medal "For Distinction in Guarding the State Border of the USSR"
- Medal "For the Development of Virgin Lands"
- "Cosmonaut Bio: Gennadi Sarafanov". spacefacts.de.
|This article about a space explorer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|