|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2014)|
Gennady Ivanovich Nevelskoy (Russian: Генна́дий Ива́нович Невельско́й; December 5 [O.S. November 23] 1813 in Drakino, now in Soligalichsky District, Kostroma Oblast – April 29 [O.S. April 17] 1876 in St. Petersburg) was a Russian navigator.
In 1848 Nevelskoy led the expedition in the Russian Far East, exploring the area of the Sakhalin and the outlet of the Amur River. He proved that the Strait of Tartary was not a gulf, but indeed a strait, connected to Amur's estuary by a narrow section later called Nevelskoy Strait. On 13 August 1850 he founded Nikolayevsk-on-Amur, the first Russian settlement in the region.
Not knowing about the efforts of Japanese navigator Mamiya Rinzō who explored the same area forty years earlier, the Russians took Nevelskoy's report as the first proof that Sakhalin is indeed an island. They renamed the Gulf of Tartary the Strait of Tartary, and named the northernmost, narrowest section of the strait, the Strait of Nevelskoy, in the captain's honour. It connects the strait's main body (formerly known as the Gulf of Tartary) with the Amur Liman (Amur River estuary).
- Name Nevelskoi named Gulf and the Strait of the Far East, the city Nevelskoi Sakhalin Oblast, a street in the city of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Kholmsk (and in other cities Sah. Area), Novosibirsk, village Wrangell Nakhodka and several other places.
- Monuments in Nikolaevsk-on-Amur as the founder of the city.
- Until the mid-1990s in the Khabarovsk e was a monument GI Nevelskoi. During the night of 17 to 18 May 1996 the monument in Central Park of Culture and Rest of Khabarovsk was destroyed by minors. The sculpture was dismantled for reconstruction and has not been restored.
- Name of passenger ship '(Project 860)' Amur River Shipping Company.
- Name of Maritime State University, Vladivostok.
- Name of Nevelskoi Nautical School, Kholmsk.
- Name of the planes of the Russian airlines "Aeroflot"
- July 16, 2008, in the city of Irkutsk, on the wall of Holy Cross Church (wedding place Gennady Nevelskoi and Catherine Yelchaninova) was a memorial plaque. The idea belongs to the installation of Irkutsk poet and member of the Board of Navy veterans Irkutsk Gennady Haidee
- Since 2007, the Ivanovo-Voznesensk sea cadet corps.
- On 25.07.2011, the name "Admiral Nevelskoi is a large landing ship project 775 (PAC).
- The monument in the city of Korsakov Sakhalin Oblast. Opened in July 2013
- V.Knyazev. Press ATC region. Juvenile destroyers monument Nevelskoi suspected even in murder / Pacific Star, June 19, 1996.
- Airplane "G.Nevelskoi
- "Ivanovo-Voznesensky Marine Cadet Corps". Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Monument to Admiral Gennady Nevelskoi opened on Sakhalin". Новости Mail.Ru. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
|This Russian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|