This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Industry||Tourism, resorts, gambling, plantations|
|Headquarters||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
|Late Tan Sri Lim Goh Tong (Founder), Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay (CEO), Tun Mohammed Hanif bin Omar (Deputy chairman)|
|Revenue||17 billion MYR (December 2013)|
Number of employees
|58 000 globally|
|Parent||Kien Huat Realty Sdn Bhd|
Genting Group is a Malaysian conglomerate. It comprises five listed entities (namely holding company Genting Berhad (MYX:3182) and its member companies Genting Malaysia Berhad (MYX:4715), Genting Plantations Berhad (MYX:2291), Genting Singapore Plc (SGX:G13) and Genting Hong Kong Limited (HKEX:678).
The Genting Group was founded in 1965 by the late Malaysian entrepreneur Tan Sri Lim Goh Tong. The Genting Group is headed by Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay, the chairman and Chief Executive, who joined the group in 1976. The group has over 41 years of experience in developing, operating and marketing casinos and integrated resorts in different parts of the world, including the Americas, Australia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and United Kingdom. The group's pioneer integrated resort is Resorts World Genting, formerly known as Genting Highlands Resort. The main attractions of the resort are its casino, theme park, concert shows, food & beverage and retail shopping.
From its initial leisure and hospitality activities, the Genting Group has since expanded and diversified into other activities including plantations, properties, power generation, oil and gas, e-commerce, information technology and biotechnology. The Genting Group, via Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay is the founder of Star Cruises the third largest cruise liner company in the world and largest cruise liner in Asia. Star Cruises, which was renamed Genting Hong Kong in 2009, is listed on Singapore and Hong Kong Stock Exchange. The Genting Group currently owns about 19.9% of Genting Hong Kong.
The Group employs over 58,000 globally and possesses 4,500 hectares (11,000 acres) of prime resort land and 133,500 hectares (330,000 acres) of land for plantation. The group's combined market capitalisation amounted to US$24 billion as of 23 February 2016. Genting Group has assets totalling US$16.6 billion, as at 31 December 2010.
- 1 Group structure
- 2 Diversification and expansion
- 3 Resort and casino properties
- 4 Investments in the United States
- 5 Previous properties
- 6 Aston Villa Football Club sponsorship
- 7 Notes
- 8 External links
Genting Berhad is the parent company and holding company that manages investment in other companies. Headquarters in Malaysia. Listed on Bursa Malaysia, with market capitalisation of US$9.4 billion as at 31 December 2014.
- Genting Singapore PLC – (52.5% owned by Genting Berhad) – investment holding company. Listed on Singapore Stock Exchange. Market Capitalisation is US$9.9 billion as of 31 December 2014.
- Genting Malaysia Berhad – (49.3% owned by Genting Berhad) – It is involved leisure and hospitality, gambling and entertainment which includes its casino businesses in the Americas and United Kingdom, Genting UK and Genting New York. Genting UK is the largest casino operator in the United Kingdom. Listed on Bursa Malaysia with market capitalisation of US$6.6 billion as of 31 December 2014.
- Genting Hong Kong Limited (17.8% owned by Genting Berhad) – formerly known as Star Cruises Limited, is a leading global leisure, entertainment and hospitality enterprise, with core competences in both land and sea-based businesses. Listed in Hong Kong and Singapore stock exchange with US$2.8 billion market capitalisation as of 31 December 2014.
- Genting Plantations Berhad (53.8% owned by Genting Berhad) – this is involved in plantations, biotechnology and property, which includes its property arm, Genting Property. Genting Plantations owns 133,000 hectares of land in Malaysia and Indonesia. It is one of the leading and lowest cost palm oil producers in Malaysia. Listed on Bursa Malaysia with US$2.2 billion market capitalisation as of 31 December 2014.
- Arkana, LTD – is a solely owned US-based subsidiary of Genting Berhad financing Indian gambling developments.
- Kien Huat Realty – the real estate development and investment entity created by Genting Founder Lim Goh Tong owns 36 percent of Genting Berhad and serves as the US investment arm for casino development project interests.
Diversification and expansion
In December 2006, Genting Group won the bid in obtaining one of two Singapore casino licences to build an integrated resort, named Resorts World Sentosa, under Genting Singapore. The project requirements includes hotel, gambling, leisure facilities, convention space and retail to create an iconic major tourist attraction for the booming Asian tourism market.
In 2007, Genting Plantations ventured into biotechnology to develop synthetic genomic processes and naturally occurring processes for alternative energy resources through an equally owned joined venture with "Synthetic Genomics".
In July 2007, Genting Group disposed of its paper and packaging business.
In August 2009, Genting Hong Kong opened Resorts World Manila in partnership with Alliance Global Group. It is one of four groups that won approval in 2008 to build hotels and casinos as part of Philippines' US$20 billion Pagcor City development on Manila Bay.
In August 2010, Genting Property began construction on an upscale retail destination, Johor Premium Outlets in partnership with Jersey-based Simon Property Group, as part of a wider 7,000-acre (2,800 ha) integrated township project in the southern state of Johor.
In September 2010, Genting New York won a bid to build a racino at Aqueduct Race Track in New York City, the first step of a planned expansion in the United States. Among the attributes of the plan was providing a diversion for passengers on long stays at John F. Kennedy International Airport. Resorts World New York opened in October 2011.
In May 2011, Genting Malaysia purchased 14 acres (5.7 ha) of Biscayne Bay front land surrounding the headquarters of The Miami Herald for US$236 million; The McClatchy Company announced that the Herald and El Nuevo Herald would be moving to another location by 2013. The land is to be used for a mixed-use development, Resorts World Miami, that would include hotels, restaurants, residences, retail shops and a convention centre. Genting Group sees the Miami land acquisition as an integral step in its pursuit of expanding internationally in the leisure, hospitality and entertainment industry.
In March 2013, Genting bought the site of Echelon Place, an unfinished casino resort on the Las Vegas Strip, and announced plans for Resorts World Las Vegas. However, work on this project has stopped.
In May 2015, Genting Hong Kong purchased 100% ownership of Crystal Cruises and plans for expansion into river cruising, private jet charters using Boeing 777 aircraft and the new build of three 100,000 GRT mega cruise ships was announced for the brand.
Resort and casino properties
- Resorts World Genting, Genting Highlands, Pahang, Malaysia
- Awana Genting Highlands Golf & Country Resort, Genting Highlands, Pahang, Malaysia
- Resorts World Kijal, Terengganu, Malaysia
- Resorts World Langkawi, Kedah, Malaysia
As of December 2010, Genting Malaysia owns the largest number of casinos in the UK, with 47:
- Resorts World at the NEC, Birmingham
- Crockfords Club, London
- The Colony Club, London
- The Palm Beach Casino, London
- Maxims Casino Club, London
- Genting Casino, Bolton
- Genting Casino, Bournemouth
- Genting Casino, Brighton
- Genting Casino, Bristol
- Genting Casino, Coventry
- Genting Casino Cromwell Mint, London
- Genting Casino Edgbaston, Birmingham
- Genting Casino, Glasgow, Scotland
- Genting Casino, Leicester
- Genting Casino, Leith, Scotland
- Genting Casino, Luton
- Genting Casino, Margate
- Genting Casino, Newcastle
- Genting Casino, Nottingham
- Genting Casino, Plymouth
- Genting Casino Renshaw Street, Liverpool
- Genting Casino, Salford
- Genting Casino, Torquay
- Genting Casino York Place, Edinburgh, Scotland
- Genting Chinatown Casino, Birmingham
- Genting Chinatown Casino, London
- Genting Club, Blackpool
- Genting Club Fountainpark, Edinburgh, Scotland
- Genting Club, Manchester
- Genting Club Queen Square, Liverpool
- Genting Club, Reading
- Genting Club Riverlights, Derby
- Genting Club, Sheffield
- Genting Club, Southport
- Genting Club Star City, Birmingham
- Genting Club, Stoke-on-Trent
- Genting Club Terminus Terrace, Southampton
- Genting Club, Wirral
- Genting Electric, Luton
- Genting Electric, Portsmouth
- Genting Electric Westcliff, Southend
- Maxims Casino, Southend
Genting owns the Park Lane Mews Hotel in Mayfair, London.
- Resorts World Sentosa, Singapore
- Genting Hotel, Jurong
- Genting Hong Kong is headquartered in Hong Kong. It is involved in cruise and resort businesses through Star Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line and Resorts World Manila.
- Resorts World Manila, Philippines (in partnership with AGI)
- Resorts World Bayshore City, Philippines (Under Construction-Part of Entertainment City)
USA and the Caribbean
- Resorts World New York City
- Resorts World Las Vegas (construction halted)
- Resorts World Miami (planned)
- Resorts World Bimini
- Norwegian Cruise Line, headquartered in Miami
- Casino Of The First Light, (Planned)
- Resorts World Jeju (planned)
Investments in the United States
- Foxwoods Resort Casino, Connecticut (capital loan to the Mashantucket Pequot tribe through Kien Huat Realty)
- Seneca Niagara Casino & Hotel, Niagara Falls, USA (capital loan to Seneca Nation of Indians through Kien Huat Realty)
- Monticello Raceway, Catskills (majority shareholder of Empire Resorts through Kien Huat Realty)
- Massachusetts Region C casino development (financing the development and lobbying expenses behind Wampanoag people Casino Of The First Light 
- Burswood Entertainment Complex, Perth, Australia (formerly known as Burswood Island Casino)
- Lucayan Beach Resort and Casino, Bahamas (in partnership with the Bahamian government)
Aston Villa Football Club sponsorship
An announcement was made on 22 June 2011 that Genting would become the new principal partner of English Premier League club Aston Villa. Details of the partnership reveal that Aston Villa home and away jerseys will display the Genting Casinos branding. The deal is to run initially for two seasons from July 2011 to July 2013.
- "Genting Group is Malaysia's leading multinational corporation". genting.com.
- "Genting Malaysia Berhad - Profile". gentingmalaysia.com.
- Finance & Intrigue in Massachusetts, Continued, Indian Gaming Now, 2 December 2009.
- Genting Group Profile, Genting website, 2012.
- Empire concludes $55M investment by Kien Huat, Reuters, 19 August 2009.
- "Genting-Star Cruises consortium wins Sentosa integrated resort project". Yahoo! News. wildsingapore.com. 8 December 2006. Retrieved 31 May 2011.
- "Malaysia's Genting pays $100 mln for MGM stake-paper". 10 June 2016 – via Reuters.
- Massey, Daniel (3 August 2010). "Last Aqueduct racino bidder gets state blessing". Crain's New York Business. Retrieved 31 May 2011.
- "New York State Gaming Commission" (PDF). gaming.ny.gov.
- Hanks, Douglas (27 May 2011). "Miami Herald parent sells land for $236 million; newspaper operations unaffected". The Miami Herald. Retrieved 31 May 2011.
- "Birmingham Post: Business news, local news, expert opinion". birminghampost.net.
- Richard N. Velotta (4 March 2013). "Old Stardust site being sold for new Strip casino". Vegas Inc. Retrieved 4 March 2013.
- Genting Group 2010 Annual Report, Genting Berhad, 6 May 2011.
- "Casino Of The First Light Resort And Casino". casinoofthefirstlight.com.
- Foxwoods loan deals with Malaysian investors raise concern, worsen debt, Connecticut Post, 23 November 2009.
- Tribal Casino Rules Revisited, Wall Street Journal, 21 September 2009.
- Empire Resorts Concludes $55,000,000 Investment Agreement with Kien Huat Realty III Limited, Empire Resorts Press Release, 19 August 2009.
- Genting circling Massachusetts as House eyes casino vote, Gambling Compliance, 9 May 2011.