A GeoTLD (geographic TLD) is a top-level domain in the Domain Name System of the Internet using the name of or invoking an association with a geographical, geopolitical, ethnic, linguistic or cultural community.
As of 2014[update], several examples of geographic TLDs exist:
.london, enabling London businesses, organizations, and individuals to establish an online naming presence,
.asia (for Asia),
.rio (for Rio de Janeiro city),
.quebec (for Québec province),
.cat which is a sponsored top-level domain intended to be used to highlight the Catalan language and culture. .eu is a country code top-level domain, since "EU" is a reserved country code for the European Union in ISO 3166-1.
The geographic TLDs have formed in 2017 an interest group that is member of the Registry Stakeholder Group (RySG) at ICANN. The GeoTLD Group AISBL is an international non-for-profit membership association resident in Belgium. It represents and promotes the interests of organizations operating a generic top-level domain which denominates a geographic name, geographic identifier or geographic origin (so-called GeoTLD) with the purpose of serving the respective place, language and culture on the internet.
Examples of proposed top-level domains in this category are:
.berlinfor the city of Berlin, Germany
.wienfor the city of Vienna, Austria
.bcn(city of Barcelona)
.le- Currently being sold by Dennis Hope's "Lunar Embassy Commission" alongside
.space. People who purchase novelty deeds for outer space property from him are also given free domains. None of these TLDs are supported by the root servers and it is unlikely they will be in the future (Although, with the ICANN decision to allow registration of custom gTLDs, it becomes possible).
Many of these are geographic, including:
- .amsterdam .amsterdam
- .bcn (for Barcelona)
- .berlin .berlin
- .brussels .brussels
- .bzh (for Brittany)
- .cymru (for Wales, in Welsh)
- .hamburg .hamburg
- .kiwi (for New Zealand)
- .lat (for Latin America)
- .melbourne .melbourne
- .nyc (for New York City)
- .quebec (for quebec)
- .rio (for Rio de Janeiro)
- .wales (for Wales, in English)
- .wien (for Vienna, Austria)
- .vlaanderen (.vlaanderen for Flanders)
- .москва (for Moscow)
- .рус (for the Russian-speaking community)
- .ابوظبي (for Abu Dhabi)
- .佛山 (for Foshan)
- .广州 (for Guangzhou)
- .深圳 (for Shenzhen)
Internationalized country codes
An internationalized country code is similar to a GeoTLD, with two differences: it is a domain used exclusively for a sovereign state. The other difference is that an internationalized country code is considered a ccTLD and not a GeoTLD. More free geographic ccTLD have been applied for and will be active in 2013.
- GeoTLD Group AISBL
- DNS Belgium
- Hope, David. "The Lunar Embassy". Retrieved 24 March 2012.
- Reveal Day 13 June 2012 – New gTLD Applied-For Strings Archived June 15, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Полный текст заявки на домен .рус на сайте ICANN
- Contribution about GeoTLD at the United Nations Internet Governance Forum IGF in Athens 2006
- Article about GeoTLDs by former German Governmental Advisory Committee GAC member at ICANN Michael Leibrandt
- Workshop on GeoTLDs at ICANN Meeting in San Juan June 2007
- ICANN Public Participation Website
- ICANN GeoTLD wiki page
- CityTLD literature