|Dr Geoff Lee
|Member of the New South Wales Parliament
26 March 2011
|Preceded by||Tanya Gadiel|
|Majority||12.1 points (2011)|
|Political party||Liberal Party of Australia|
|Alma mater||Macquarie Graduate School of Management (2006)
Macquarie University (2001)
University of Western Sydney – Hawkesbury
|Occupation||Politician, Academic and former horticulturalist|
Early years and background
Geoff Lee was born in 1967 and has an Australian and Chinese background. He attained a Bachelor of Applied Science degree in horticulture from the University of Western Sydney – Hawkesbury and was managing director of Hambledon Garden Centre, a garden centre and landscaping business in Parramatta from 1992 until 2001. He completed his Master of Business Administration from Macquarie University's School of Business Administration in 2001 and commenced teaching part-time at Liverpool TAFE. From 2004 to 2006, Lee was a lecturer in business at the University of Western Sydney (UWS) and, during this time, completed a Doctor of Business Administration degree at the Macquarie Graduate School of Management. In 2007, he was appointed Associate Dean (Engagement) at UWS.
At the March 2011 elections, Lee was elected as member for Parramatta and received a swing of 25.8 points in the traditionally strong Labor seat. Going into the election, Labor held Parramatta with a majority of 13.1 points. As a measure of the size of the massive Coalition wave that swept New South Wales that year, Lee picked up a swing large enough to turn Parramatta from a very safe Labor seat into a very safe Liberal seat in one stroke. He later said that could not have won—and certainly not with as large a swing—without winning over dozens of people who had never voted for a Liberal before. He was reelected in 2015, becoming the first non-Labor member in 83 years to have held the seat for more than one term.
Lee is currently the Parliamentary Secretary for Multiculturalism.
- Green, Antony (5 April 2011). "Parramatta". NSW Votes 2011. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 9 April 2011.
- "Dr (Geoff) Geoffrey Lee, BAppSc(Hort), MBA, DBA MP". Members of the NSW Legislative Assembly. Parliament of New South Wales. 28 April 2011. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- "Geoff Lee". Liberal for Parramatta. Liberal Party of Australia (NSW). 2011. Retrieved 9 April 2011.
- "Libs announce Parramatta candidate". The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. AAP. 7 November 2010. Retrieved 9 April 2011.
- Bartok, Di (12 November 2010). "Liberal candidate for Parramatta is Geoffrey Lee". Parramatta Advertiser. News Limited. Retrieved 9 April 2011.
- Madden, James (28 March 2011). "Cynical heartland voices its disgust". The Australian. News Limited. Retrieved 9 April 2011.
|Parliament of New South Wales|
|Member for Parramatta
2011 –- present