Geoff Morrell (spokesperson)
Geoffrey S. Morrell (born November 1968) is an American public affairs official who served as Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs, and was the Press Secretary for the US Department of Defense. He was hired to the latter position in June 2007 and departed in July 2011 to join BP in September.
Early life and education
Morrell began his reporting career in 1992 at KATV-TV in Little Rock, Arkansas, covering the presidential campaign of Bill Clinton. In 1994, he took a job as a reporter at WSET-TV in Lynchburg-Roanoke, Virginia, and in 1995, Morrell joined KSAZ-TV in Phoenix as a TV news reporter. In 1996, Morrell joined WBBM-TV in Chicago in the same capacity. While working as for WBBM-TV in Chicago, Morrell appeared in the 1998 movie The Negotiator playing himself as a news reporter.
Morrell left WBBM-TV in early 2000 and joined ABC News, working in both the network's Chicago and Washington, D.C. bureaus. He was an ABC White House television correspondent for four years. In 2007, Morrell resigned from ABC after seven years with the network to be appointed the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs where he served under two presidents. Morrell resigned upon Secretary Robert Gates' retirement in July 2011 and was replaced by George E. Little.
In September 2011, Morrell joined BP as a vice-president and the company's head of US communications and in September 2013 became the company's senior vice president of US communications and external affairs. As head of communications and external affairs, Morrell is in charge of government and media relations, internal communications, community affairs and philanthropy in the U.S.
- Morrell, Geoff (June 27, 2011). "U.S. Department of Defense Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Public Affairs) News Transcript". U.S. Department of Defense. Archived from the original on 14 December 2013. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
Thanks for coming to my final briefing
- "NOTABLE ALUMNI". The Lawrenceville School. Retrieved October 16, 2014.
- Gizbert, Richard (June 21, 2007). "London Calling: Geoff Morrell Makes It Official". Huffingtonpost. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
...some of you may remember Geoff Morrell from the big screen. He did one of those news reporter cameos in The Negotiator
- American Journalism Review, "On the Inside Looking Out" by Jamie McIntyre, February/March 2009
- Tau, Byron; Andrea Drusch; Anna Palmer (September 20, 2013). "BP ups Morrell, reorganizes PR/GR — Kinzel flies to Delta — Francis joins JDA frontline — AEA goes after Begich, Hagan on carbon taxes". Politico. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
Geoff Morrell has been promoted to senior vice president in charge of the newly formed U.S. Communications & External Affairs team
- Kiefer, Brittaney (6 September 2013). "Morrell to lead merged BP comms, government affairs". PRWeek. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- Media related to Geoff S. Morrell at Wikimedia Commons
|This biography of a person who has held a non-elected position in the federal government of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|