Geoff Morris (footballer)
|Full name||Geoffrey Morris|
|Date of birth||8 February 1949|
|Place of birth||West Bromwich, England|
|Date of death||16 February 2015(aged 66)|
|Playing position||Left winger|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Geoffrey Morris (8 February 1949 – 16 February 2015) was an English footballer who played for Walsall, Shrewsbury Town, Bangor City, Port Vale, Kidderminster Harriers, and Brisbane Lions (Australia). A Winger, he scored 58 goals in 305 league games in an 11-year career in the Football League. He won promotion out of the Fourth Division with Shrewsbury Town in 1974–75.
Born at Great Barr, West Bromwich, Morris began his career in 1964 at Walsall, who finished ninth in the Third Division in 1965–66 under the stewardship of Ray Shaw. He became the youngest player in the club's history when he made his debut against Peterborough United in September 1965 aged 16 years and 218 days. The "Saddlers" then finished 12th in 1966–67 and seventh in 1967–68. New boss Bill Moore took the club to 13th in 1968–69, 12th in 1969–70, 20th in 1970–71, and ninth in 1971–72. Morris left the club after a 17th-place finish in 1972–73. He scored 35 goals in 177 league games at Fellows Park.
He moved on to Maurice Evans's Shrewsbury Town, who were relegated into the Fourth Division in 1973–74. The "Shrews" then won immediate promotion with a second-place finish in 1974–75 under the stewardship of rookie manager Alan Durban. He scored nine goals in 75 league games at Gay Meadow.
He spent time in the Northern Premier League with Bangor City, before he was signed by Port Vale manager Roy Sproson for a £200 fee in August 1975. He was unable to make an impact for the "Valiants" in the 1975–76 season, making 15 Third Division and two FA Cup appearances, scoring one goal in a 1–1 draw with Brighton & Hove Albion at Vale Park on 6 September.
- Sourced from Geoff Morris profile at the English National Football Archive (subscription required)
|Shrewsbury Town||1972–73||Third Division||20||2||0||0||0||0||20||2|
|Port Vale||1975–76||Third Division||15||1||0||0||2||0||17||1|
- with Shrewsbury Town
- Kent, Jeff (1996). Port Vale Personalities. Witan Books. p. 205. ISBN 0-9529152-0-0.
- Shropshire Star, Tuesday 24 February 2015, Death Notice, page 26.
- "Former [Shrewsbury] Town ace dies at 66". Shropshire Star. 24 February 2015. p. 5.
- Baggaley, Mike (23 February 2015). "Former Port Vale winger Geoff Morris dies aged 66". The Sentinel. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "Former Saddler Passes Away". walsall.vitalfootball.co.uk.
- "Death Notices - MORRIS, Geoffrey". Shropshire Star. 24 February 2015. Retrieved 24 February 2015.