pinyin: Ruì Jiéruì
|Alma mater||La Trobe University|
|Occupation||Economist and diplomat|
|Title||Australian Ambassador to China|
Geoffrey William "Geoff" Raby (born September 1953 in Melbourne) is an Australian economist and diplomat. He served as the Australian Ambassador to the People's Republic of China from February 2007 until August 2011. He is now the Chairman and CEO of Geoff Raby and Associates, a Beijing-based business advisory firm.
Education and public career
Raby attended La Trobe University and graduated with bachelor's degree (Honours), a master's degree and a PhD in economics. He worked for the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in several positions as head of the Chinese Embassy's economics division (1986–1991), head of the Northeast Asia Analytical Unit (1991–1993), First Assistant Secretary, Trade Negotiations Division (1995–1998), Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the World Trade Organisation (1998–2001) and First Assistant Secretary, International Organisations and Legal Division (2001–2002), Ambassador to the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum (2002–2004), and a Deputy Secretary of the Department (2002–2006). While based in Beijing from 1986 to 1991, he worked with Kevin Rudd, who served as Australia's Prime Minister and later Minister for Foreign Affairs while Raby was Ambassador to China.
He published a book concerning Australian economic history in 1996 entitled Making rural Australia: an economic history of technical and institutional creativity, 1788-1860.
Career in the private sector
Since retiring as Ambassador to China, Raby has founded the consulting firm Geoff Raby & Associates, a business advisory firm promoting successful business operations that span national borders, and working to influence both public and private policy makers. His client list includes Queensland Investment Corporation.,
Raby was appointed as the Beijing-based Executive Director of Riverstone Advisory Pty Ltd, an adviser to law firm Corrs Chambers Westgarth and Co-Chair of the firm’s China practice, and a Vice-Chancellor's Professorial Fellow at Monash University. OceanaGold, and SmartTrans Holdings Ltd. He is also a Senior Advisor to strategic communications firm Kreab Gavin Anderson.
- China Radio International (2011). Dr Geoff Raby the Australian Ambassador to China. Retrieved 26 August 2011.
- Corrs Chambers Westgarth (2011). Outgoing Ambassador to China, Dr Geoff Raby appointed as Co-Chair of Corrs’ China practice. Retrieved 26 August 2011.
- Monash University (2011). Former Australian Ambassador appointed. . Retrieved 26 August 2011.
- Riverstone Advisory (2011). Dr. Geoff Raby Appointment. Retrieved 26 August 2011.
- Asialink (2011). Boardroom Dinner with H.E. Dr Geoff Raby - Australian Ambassador to China. Retrieved 26 August 2011.
- The Australian (2011). Crusade for China literacy. Retrieved 26 August 2011.
- National Library of Australia (2011). Making rural Australia : an economic history of technical and institutional creativity, 1788-1860 / by Geoff Raby. Retrieved 26 August 2011.
- Investor Daily (2011). QIC eyes Chinese market. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- Yahoo! Finance (2011). OceanaGold announces appointment of Dr. Geoff Raby to the Board of Directors. Retrieved 26 August 2011.
- Business Spectator (2011). SmartTrans board changes. Retrieved 26 August 2011.
- Geoff Raby & Associates homepage
- Corrs Chambers Westgarth profile
- "No Chinese walls in Raby's new world", Australian Financial Review, 15 September 2011
|Australian Ambassador for APEC
|Australian Ambassador to China