Geoff Richards (professor)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Robert Geoffrey "Geoff" Richards is the Director of AO Research Institute Davos at the AO Foundation. He is a Fellow of Biomaterial Science and Engineering (FBSE), a Fellow of International Orthopaedic Research (FIOR) and co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief of the eCM True Open Access Journal.
Since 1991, Richards has been working for the AO Research Institute Davos (ARI) performing R&D of fracture fixation devices. His current position is as the Director of Research and Development, a position he has held since 2009. The personal research on implant surfaces has led to major changes in the design and manufacture of internal fracture fixation products that have led to greatly improved clinical outcomes for patients world-wide. Currently he holds a Professorship at Cardiff University, Wales, Great Britain along with two chairs closer to the clinic at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Freiburg, Germany and recently (2016) at the First Affiliated Hospital, Sun-Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, China  He is a fellow of both Biomaterials Science and Engineering and International Orthopedic Research. In 1999, he co-founded the eCM Journal. In 2016 he received Doctor Honoris Causa from the Technical University of Varna, Bulgaria 
Richards graduated from the University of Wales, Aberystwyth with a B.Sc., in 1990. He continued there with his studies, completing a Master of Science in 1991. He then completed his PhD, Doctor of Philosophy at the same university in 1997.
- 2016 Distinguished Professor, The First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, China.
- 2015 Honorary Professor, Faculty of Medicine, University of Freiburg, Germany.
- 2007 Honorary Professor, School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Wales, Great Britain.
- 2007-2012 Honorary Professor, Institute of Biological Sciences, Aberystwyth University, Wales Great Britain.
- 2006-2009 Visiting Professor Institute of Biomaterials & Bioengineering, Tokyo Medical & Dental University,Japan.
Awards, honors, scientific appointments
- 2019 Honorary Fellow Aberystwyth University (Cymrawd er Anrhydedd Prifysgol Aberystwyth)
- 2016 Doctor Honoris Causa, Technical University of Varna (BG)
- 2016 Fellow of International Orthopaedic Research (FIOR)
- 2012: Fellow Biomaterials Science and Engineering (FBSE)
- May 2010: Life Honorary Membership – Swiss Society for Biomaterials
- 2004-2012 Honorary Senior Research Fellow Faculty of Biomedical & Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, GB.
- May 2004: Jean Leray Award (European Society for Biomaterials) 
- 1999-2007 Honorary Lecturer, Institute of Biological Sciences, Aberystwyth University, Wales
Society board memberships
- 2019-2021 Global President TERMIS (Tissue Engineering & Regenerative Medicine International Society)
- 2019 Past Chair of the International College of Fellows for Orthopaedic Research
- 2016-2019 Chair of the International College of Fellows for Orthopaedic Research
- 2013: Member of International Combined Orthopaedic Research Societies (ICORS) Steering Committee.
- 2014-2015 President of the Lions Club Davos-Klosters.
- 2013-2015 Member TERMIS-EU & World Council Tissue Engineering & Regenerative Medicine International Society.
- 2011-2016: Executive Committee member European Orthopaedic Research Society (EORS)
- 2011-2013: Chair of the Infection Topic Committee, Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS)
- 2013 Board member of the Academia Raetica, Switzerland.
- 2013 Board member and (2015) Vice President Science City Davos 
- 2013 Associate Editor of the Journal of Orthopaedic Translation.
- 2000 Editor-in-Chief, webmaster, webeditor eCM journal 
- 1999 co-founder eCM journal((http://www.ecmjournal.org) with Dr Iolo ap Gwynn and the late Dr Godfried Roomans)), the first online open access journal in the fields of Biomaterials, Tissue Engineering & Regenerative Medicine and Orthopaedics (before the term open access existed) .
Richards has published over 190 peer reviewed articles. A partial list of these publications includes:
- Search Results for author Richards RG on PubMed.
- ORCID http://orcid.org/0000-0002-7778-2480
- ResearcherID http://www.researcherid.com/rid/I-8235-2015
- Researchgate https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Robert_Richards2
- Post, Virginia; Wahl, Peter; Richards, R. Geoff; Moriarty, T. Fintan (2016). "Vancomycin displays time dependent eradication of mature Staphylococcus aureusbiofilms". Journal of Orthopaedic Research. doi:10.1002/jor.23291. PMID 27175462.
- Acklin, Yves P.; Zderic, Ivan; Buschbaum, Jan; Varga, Peter; Inzana, Jason A.; Grechenig, Stephan; Richards, R. Geoff; Gueorguiev, Boyko; Schmitz, Paul (2016). "Biomechanical comparison of plate and screw fixation in anterior pelvic ring fractures with low bone mineral density". Injury. 47 (7): 1456–60. doi:10.1016/j.injury.2016.04.013. PMID 27131409.
- Wagner, Daniel; Kamer, Lukas; Sawaguchi, Takeshi; Richards, R. Geoff; Noser, Hansrudi; Rommens, Pol M. (2016). "Sacral Bone Mass Distribution Assessed by Averaged Three-Dimensional CT Models". The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 98 (7): 584–90. doi:10.2106/JBJS.15.00726. PMID 27053587.
- Dullaert, K.; Hagen, J.; Klos, K.; Gueorguiev, B.; Lenz, M.; Richards, R.G.; Simons, P. (2016). "The influence of the Peroneus Longus muscle on the foot under axial loading: A CT evaluated dynamic cadaveric model study". Clinical Biomechanics. 34: 7–11. doi:10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2016.03.001. PMID 27015031.
- Metsemakers, W-J.; Moriarty, T.F.; Nijs, S.; Pape, H.C.; Richards, R.G. (2016). "Influence of implant properties and local delivery systems on the outcome in operative fracture care". Injury. 47 (3): 595–604. doi:10.1016/j.injury.2016.01.019. PMID 26847958.
- Richards, Robert Geoffrey (2013). "AO Research Institute Davos within the AO Foundation: A model for translation of science to the clinics". Journal of Orthopaedic Translation. 1: 11–8. doi:10.1016/j.jot.2013.07.009.
- "Prof. R. Geoff Richards – Director AO Research and Development". AO Foundation. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "Robert Geoffrey Richards". Research Gate. Retrieved 26 May 2016.
- "Prof. Dr. R. Geoff Richards". Academia Raetica. Retrieved 26 May 2016.
- "Geoff Richards". Crunchbase. Retrieved 26 May 2016.
- Search Results for author Richards RG on PubMed.