Geoffrey D. Dabelko is Professor and Director of Environmental Studies at the George V. Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Affairs at Ohio University in Athens, OH. From 1997-2012, he served as director of the Environmental Change and Security Program (ECSP), a nonpartisan policy forum on environment, population, and security issues at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington, D.C. He continues to work as a senior advisor to the Wilson Center where he helps facilitate dialogue among policymakers, practitioners, and scholars grappling with the complex connections that link environment, health, population, conflict, and security. His recent research focuses on climate change and security as well as environmental pathways to confidence building and peacemaking, with a special emphasis on management of fresh water resources.
Dabelko was the principal investigator for ECSP's "Navigating Peace: Forging New Water Partnerships" Initiative. He worked previously at Foreign Policy and the Council on Foreign Relations. He is an adjunct professor at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey and has taught at the Georgetown University School of Foreign Service.
Dabelko is a member of the United Nations Environment Programme’s Expert Advisory Group on Environment, Conflict, and Peacebuilding and an advisory board member of Screenscope's "Journey to Planet Earth" PBS documentary initiative. He is an editorial board member of Global Environmental Change and a contributing editor of Environment. He was a former Term Member of the Council on Foreign Relations and the Washington Term Member Advisory Council. He was a lead author for the 5th assessment of the IPCC Working Group II Chapter 12 on Human Security.
- Environmental Change and Security Program
- ECSP blog New Security Beat
- Centerpoint: "Helping Hands: An Integrated Approach"
- ECSP Report, Issue 13
- Focus, Issue 23: "To Live With the Sea: Reproductive Health Care and Marine Conservation in Madagascar"
- Focus, Issue 22: "Coffee and Community: Combining Agribusiness and Health in Rwanda"
- Focus, Issue 21: "Population, Health, and Environment in Ethiopia"
- Focus, Issue 20: "Helping Hands: A Livelihood Approach to Population, Heath, and Environment Programs"
- ECSP Publications
- Navigating Peace: Water Conflict and Cooperation
- Woodrow Wilson Center for International Scholars
- CFR: Population and Environment Connections