|The Right Reverend
|Retired Bishop in Europe|
|Diocese||Diocese in Europe|
|Other posts||Bishop of Basingstoke (1994–2001)|
|Consecration||2 February 1994
by George Carey
|Born||13 February 1943|
|Residence||Church Road, Worth|
|Alma mater||Corpus Christi College, Cambridge|
Douglas Geoffrey Rowell (born 13 February 1943) is a retired Anglican bishop, having served as the third Bishop in Europe until his retirement on 8 November 2013. Rowell is currently an assistant bishop in the Diocese of Chichester.
Since 1999, Rowell has been an episcopal patron of Project Canterbury, an online archive of Anglican texts.
Rowell was commissioned as Bishop of Gibraltar in Europe (often called "Bishop in Europe") on 18 October 2001 at St Margaret's, Westminster, and enthroned in the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, Gibraltar, on 1 November 2001.
At the November 2012 meeting of the General Synod of the Church of England, Rowell was one of the three members of the House of Bishops who voted against the ordination of women as bishops.
Rowell has authored or co-authored the following:
- Love's Redeeming Work: The Anglican Quest for Holiness. OUP Oxford. 2003. ISBN 978-0-19-150087-9. with Kenneth Stevenson and Rowan Williams
- The Vision Glorious: Themes and Personalities of the Catholic Revival in Anglicanism. Clarendon Press. 1991. ISBN 978-0-19-826332-6.
- Come, Lord Jesus!: Daily Readings for Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany. Morehouse. 2003. ISBN 978-0-8192-1964-0. with Julien Chilcott-Monk
- The English religious tradition and the genius of Anglicanism. Ikon. 1992. ISBN 978-1-871805-02-4.
Outline of career
- Ordained priest in the Church of England, 1969
- Chaplain of Keble College, Oxford, 1971–1994
- Examining Chaplain to the Bishop of Leicester, 1979–1990
- Canon of Chichester Cathedral, 1981
- Examining Chaplain to the Bishop of Winchester, 1991–1993
- Suffragan Bishop of Basingstoke, 1994–2001
- Bishop in Europe, 2001–2013
- The Reverend Geoffrey Rowell (1968–1981)
- The Reverend Canon Geoffrey Rowell (1981–1994)
- The Right Reverend Geoffrey Rowell (1994–present)
- "BISHOP ANNOUNCES HIS RETIREMENT". Diocese in Europe. 22 March 2013. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- Press Release — Suffragan See of Basingstoke (National Archives)
- "Briefly (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#6834). 4 February 1994. p. 2. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 21 February 2016. (subscription required (. ))
- Bingham, John (26 November 2012). "Half of women bishops opponents in Synod were women". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- "Bishop chastises Istanbul parishioners in growing row". TodaysZaman. 24 January 2007. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- Who's Who, 2006 (A. & C. Black, London, 2006)
- Anglican Church in Europe website at the Wayback Machine (archived April 18, 2012)
- Anglicans in Istanbul, Letter to "the Times", 2 February 2007(subscription required)