Geological Society of Glasgow
|Formation||17 May 1858|
|Headquarters||Gregory Building, Glasgow University|
|Affiliations||Edinburgh Geological Society|
The society contributed to the understanding of Scotland's glacial history, and the relationship between the Earth's rotation and climate change. The Geological Society of Glasgow is registered as a charity in Scotland.
The society was founded on 17 May 1858, by a group of amateur geology enthusiasts. The society organized its first field trip, to Campsie Glen, in June of that year. Some fossils from these early excursions are on display in the Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow.
Each summer, the society runs day-long and residential field trips, open to members.
The Transactions of the Geological Society of Glasgow, first published in 1860, is available online as part of the Geological Society of London's Lyell Collection. The Transactions included papers by James Croll, Archibald Geikie, Lord Kelvin, and Joseph Tyrrell. In 1965, the Transactions merged with the Transactions of the Edinburgh Geological Society to form the Scottish Journal of Geology.
Former presidents have included:
- James Smith of Jordanhill (1864–1867)
- William Thomson, 1st Baron Kelvin (1872-1893)
- Archibald Geikie (1893-1899)
- Charles Lapworth (1899-1902)
- Ramsay Traquair (1902–1905)
- Ben Peach (1905-1908)
- John Walter Gregory (1908-1911 & 1914-1917)
Other notable members
Thomas Neville George Medal recipients
- Stephen Jay Gould, American palaeontologist and science writer (1989)
- Peter Ziegler, Swiss geologist (1989)
- William James Kennedy, British geologist (1992)
- Richard Fortey, British palaeontologist, writer and television presenter (2007)
- Jenny Clack, English paleontologist (2013)
- "History". The Geological Society of Glasgow. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "About Us". The Geological Society of Glasgow. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Constitution" (PDF). The Geological Society of Glasgow. November 2007. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Excursions". The Geological Society of Glasgow. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Lectures". The Geological Society of Glasgow. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Transactions of the Geological Society of Glasgow". The Geological Society of London. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Presidents". The Geological Society of Glasgow. Retrieved 21 September 2017.
- Waterston, Charles D; Macmillan Shearer, A (July 2006). Former Fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 1783-2002: Biographical Index (PDF). II. Edinburgh: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. ISBN 978-0-902198-84-5. Retrieved 25 November 2011.
- Cleevely, R. J. (2004). "Gray, Elizabeth (1831–1924)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/54373. Retrieved November 19, 2015.
- "T.N. George Medal". The Geological Society of Glasgow. Retrieved 21 September 2017.