Geometric modeling kernel
- ACIS is developed and licensed by Spatial Corporation of Dassault Systèmes.
- Romulus is licensed by Siemens and HP and was released in 1982.
- SMLib is developed by Solid Modeling Solutions.
- Convergence Geometric Modeler is developed by Dassault Systèmes.
- Parasolid is developed and licensed by Siemens.
- ShapeManager is developed by Autodesk and was forked from ACIS in 2001.
- Granite is developed by Parametric Technology Corporation.
- C3D Modeler is developed by C3D Labs, part of the ASCON Group.
- CGAL is an opensource Computational Geometry Algorithms Library which has support for boolean operations on Polyhedra; but no sweep, revolve or NURBS.
- Open CASCADE is an opensource modeling kernel, for Windows and Linux only.
- sgCore is an opensource modeling kernel, with precompiled libraries only, for Windows only.
- Open Inventor is both a proprietary and free and opensource modeling kernel.
- Coin3D is an opensource modeling kernel library of the Open Inventor API.
- K3 kernel is developed by Center GeoS.
- SOLIDS++ is developed by IntegrityWare, Inc.
- APM Engine is developed by RSDC APM.
- Kubotek Kosmos (KCM) is developed by Kubotek3D subsidiary of Kubotek Corporation, released in 2016 and 2018.
- SvLis Geometric Kernel became opensource and discontinued, for Windows only.
- IRIT modeling environment, for Windows only.
- GTS GNU Triangulated Surface Library, for polygon meshes only and not surfaces.
- Russian Geometric Kernel.
- FeatureScript is an opensource modeling feature kernel for cloud platforms, developed by Onshape.
The kernel market currently is dominated by Parasolid and ACIS, which were introduced in the late 1980s. The latest kernels to enter the market are C3D, developed in 1995, and Convergence Geometric Modeler, developed in 1998; they were introduced as standalone products in 2013 and 2011 perspectively. ShapeManager has no presence in the kernel licensing market and in 2001 Autodesk clearly stated they were not going into this business.
The world's newest geometric modeling kernel is Russian Geometric Kernel owned by the Russian government, and it is not clear if it is going to be commercially available. However, it has superior features over the other kernels on the market.
In the table below you can see a representative list of developers that belong to companies developing their own kernel or licensing the kernel from third-party .
- Tyrka, Katherine (2001-12-01). "Kernel strategies". Design News.
- Shah, Jami (2004-06-27). Parametric and Feature-Based CAD/CAM. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. p. 449. ISBN 0-471-00214-3.
- Yares, Evan. "Spatial, ACIS, CGM, and the future of geometric modelers". 3D CAD World. Retrieved 18 May 2013.
- "GRANITE Interoperability Kernel FAQ". PTC Inc. Retrieved 18 May 2013.
- Levin, David. "Geometric Kernels and Irremovability of Presidents from Office". LEDAS Ltd. Retrieved April 15, 2013.
- Yares, Evan (April 2013). "Russian CAD". Design World. WTWH Media, LLC. 8 (4). ISSN 1941-7217.
- "Geometros Solid Geometry Engine for C++, C#, Objective-C, Java - sgCore". www.geometros.com. Retrieved 2019-10-02.
- "About the developer". Innovation and research center "GeoS". Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "SOLIDS++". IntegrityWare, Inc. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- "APM Studio". Research and Software Development Centre APM. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "Геометрическое ядро APM Engine". sapr. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "На ядре". isicad. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "3D Software Development with Kubotek Kosmos". Kubotek3D. Retrieved 8 August 2018.
- "Kubotek readies KCM next-generation 3D geometry kernel". Graphicspeak. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
- "Kubotek's Kosmos framework now available for licensing". Euroinvestor. Retrieved 8 August 2018.
- "The IRIT modeling environment - Home Page". www.cs.technion.ac.il. Retrieved 2019-10-02.
- "GTS - The GNU Triangulated Surface Library". gts.sourceforge.net. Retrieved 2019-10-02.
- "Custom Features | Onshape". www.onshape.com. Retrieved 2019-10-03.
- "Russian 3D-kernel RGK: Functionality, Advantages, and Integration". Isicad.net. 2013-05-24. Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- "Does the CAD world need another geometry kernel?". gfxspeak.com. 2013-06-06. Retrieved 2016-08-17.
- "Features of RGK". RGK. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- "Вопрос распараллеливания в разработке ядра геометрического моделирования" (PDF). Singularis Lab. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- Ushakov, Dmitry. "Russian National 3D Kernel". LEDAS Ltd. Retrieved April 3, 2012.
- "Renga Architecture". ASCON Group. 2015-03-17.
- "Renga Architecture is brand-new AEC software by an MCAD vendor". WorldCAD Access. 2015-03-13.