Georg Friedrich Knapp
|Georg Friedrich Knapp|
March 7, 1842|
|Died||February 20, 1926
|Institution||University of Strasbourg|
|Field||Monetary economics, statistics|
|Chartalism, Historical school of economics|
|Influenced||Ladislaus Bortkiewicz (Dr. phil. habil. 1895) (doctoral student), Kurt Singer (doctoral student)|
Georg Friedrich Knapp (German: [knap]; March 7, 1842 – February 20, 1926) was a German economist who in 1905 published The State Theory of Money, which founded the chartalist school of monetary theory, which argues that money's value derives from its issuance by an institutional form of government rather than spontaneously through relations of exchange.
Knapp studied in Munich, Berlin. and Göttingen, and in 1867 became director of the Statistical Bureau of Leipzig. In 1869 he was appointed assistant professor of economics and statistics in the University of Leipzig. In 1874 he was appointed a professor of political economy at the University of Strasbourg, where he remained until 1918. He was also rector at Strasbourg in 1891–92 and 1907–08.
In 1886 he founded the periodical Abhandlungen aus dem staatswissenschaftlichen Seminar zu Strassburg.
His earlier writings deal chiefly with population and agricultural topics.
- Ueber die Ermittelung der Sterblichkeit (“On the ascertainment of mortality,” 1868)
- Die Sterblichkeit der Sachsen (“Mortality in Saxony,” 1869)
- Theorie des Bevölkerungswechsels (“The theory of population fluctuations,” 1874)
- Die Bauernbefreiung und der Ursprung der Landarbeiter in den älteren Teilen Preussens (“The liberation of peasants and the origins of the agriculturalist in the older parts of Prussia, ”1887)
- Die Landarbeiter in Knechtschaft und Freiheit (“The farmer in serfdom and freedom,” 1891)
- Staatliche Theorie des Geldes (“The State Theory of Money”), München u. Leipzig, Duncker & Humblot, 1905. 3rd edition 1921. English edition of 1924 in PDF format
- Grundherrschaft und Rittergut (“Land ownership and seignorial lands,” 1897)
- Rise of Statistical Thinking, 1820-1900 By Theodore M. Porter p 187
- Rines, George Edwin, ed. (1920). "Knapp, George Friedrich". Encyclopedia Americana.
- "Professorenkatalog der Universität Leipzig". University of Leipzig.