Georg von Habsburg
16 December 1964 |
|Spouse||Duchess Eilika of Oldenburg|
|Father||Otto von Habsburg|
|Mother||Princess Regina of Saxe-Meiningen|
Georg von Habsburg (given names Paul Georg Maria Joseph Dominikus; born 16 December 1964, Starnberg), referred to in Austria as Georg Habsburg-Lothringen, in Hungary as Habsburg György, and by his royal name as Archduke Georg of Austria, is the second son, and seventh and youngest child of Otto von Habsburg, the last Crown Prince of Austria-Hungary, and Princess Regina of Saxe-Meiningen. He has worked as a television journalist, based in Budapest, since 1993.
|Austrian Imperial Family|
He married Duchess Eilika of Oldenburg (born 22 August 1972) the older daughter of Duke Johann of Oldenburg (younger son of Nikolaus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Oldenburg and his wife Princess Helena of Waldeck and Pyrmont) and Countess Ilka of Ortenburg, on 18 October 1997 in Budapest, Hungary, contracting, as had his elder brother Karl in 1993, a dynastic marriage according to the Habsburg house laws. His wife remained Lutheran. The couple have three children:
- Zsófia Mária Tatjána Mónika Erzsébet Katalin (Sophie Maria Tatiana Monica Elisabeth Catherine), born Budapest, 12 January 2001)
- Ildikó Mária Walburga (Hilda Maria Walburga), born Budapest, 6 June 2002)
- Károly-Konstantin Mihály István Mária (Karl-Konstantin Michael Stephan Maria), born Budapest, 20 July 2004)
Georg has been a strong supporter of the enlargement of the European Union. On 1 May 2004 he was chairman of the Grand Europe Ball, a black tie charitable gala held at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York to celebrate this historic occasion.
- The Habsburgs' titles are not recognised anymore in Austria or in Hungary, where he is referred to as Georg Habsburg-Lothringen, which is his legal name (see Austrian nobility and Statute IV of 1947 regarding the abolition of certain titles and ranks (Hungary)).
- de Badts de Cugnac, Chantal. Coutant de Saisseval, Guy. ‘’Le Petit Gotha’’. Nouvelle Imprimerie Laballery, Paris 2002, p. 172-176, 201-202 (French) ISBN 2-9507974-3-1
Georg von Habsburg
Cadet branch of the House of LorraineBorn: 16 December 1964
Ferdinand Zvonimir Habsburg-Lothringen
|Line of succession to the Austro-Hungarian throne