3 October 1959|
|Fields||Public international law|
Georg Nolte (born 3 October 1959, in Bonn) is a German jurist. He is professor of public international law at the Humboldt University of Berlin and is a member of the UN's International Law Commission.
A son of the prominent historian and philosopher Ernst Nolte, Georg Nolte studied law at the Free University of Berlin and the University of Geneva. He earned his doctorate in 1991 at the University of Heidelberg. Between 1991 and 1999 he worked at the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law in Heidelberg, earning his habilitation in 1998.
Between 1999 and 2004 he held the chair of public international law at the University of Göttingen. From 2004 to 2008 he held the chair in public international law at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, in succession to Bruno Simma. In 2008 he succeeded Christian Tomuschat as holder of the chair of public international law at the Humboldt University of Berlin. He is also head of the Center for Global Constitutionalism at the WZB Berlin Social Science Center.
He has been a visiting fellow at All Souls College, Oxford 2003–2004, a visiting professor at the Panthéon-Assas University in 2004 and a visiting fellow at Princeton University's Law and Public Affairs Program 2013–2014. From 2000 to 2007 he was a member of the Council of Europe's European Commission for Democracy through Law, the Venice Commission. He is member of the advisory board of the Goettingen Journal of International Law.
He was elected as a member of the International Law Commission by the United Nations General Assembly in 2007. He was reelected in 2011, receiving the highest number of votes among all candidates. Within the ILC, he founded and chairs the study group on "Treaties over Time."
- United States Hegemony and the Foundations of International Law, (ed. with Michael Byers),(Cambridge: Cambridge University Press,2003)
- European Military Law Systems, (Berlin: DeGruyter Recht, 2003)
- European and US Constitutionalism, (ed.) (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press,2005)
- Le droit international face au défi américain, Cours et travaux de l'IHEI de Paris (ed.) (Pedone,2005)
- "The Permanent Mission of Germany to the United Nations New York - Press Release: Election of members to the International Law Commission (ILC)". New-york-un.diplo.de. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- "International Law Commission - Analytical Guide: Treaties over time/Subsequent agreements and subsequent practice in relation to interpretation of treaties". legal.un.org. Retrieved 2013-10-18.