George A. Cooper
George A. Cooper
George Alphonsus Cooper
7 March 1925
|Died||16 November 2018 (aged 93)|
|Occupation||Actor and voice artist|
|Spouse(s)||Anne Shirley Jones|
(m. 1955–2000; (her death)
Cooper played Geoffrey Fisher, the stern father of the eponymous antihero Billy Liar, in both the original West End stage version (1960) and the later sitcom (1973–74). He also had a recurring role in Coronation Street as Willie Piggott, between 1964 and 1971. One of his other regular roles was as the caretaker Mr. Griffiths in the long-running children's TV series Grange Hill.
Among Cooper's other television credits are roles in Danger Man, Z-Cars, Dixon of Dock Green, No Hiding Place, Doctor Who (in the serial The Smugglers), Softly, Softly, The Avengers, The Saint, Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased), The Troubleshooters, Steptoe and Son, Doomwatch, Public Eye, Budgie, Bless This House, Sykes, Rising Damp, The New Avengers, Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, All Creatures Great and Small, Juliet Bravo, When the Boat Comes In, Terry and June, Taggart, Casualty and Heartbeat.
Cooper had roles in many films including: Violent Playground (1958), Hell Is a City (1960), The Cracksman (1963), Nightmare (1964), Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968) with Christopher Lee and the film version of Bless This House (1972) with Sid James.
- Men of Two Worlds (1946) - Orchestra Conductor
- Okinawa (1952) - Yeoman (uncredited)
- Passing Stranger (1954) - Charlie
- Jumping for Joy (1956) - Farmer (uncredited)
- Sailor Beware! (1956) - Petty Officer (uncredited)
- The Secret Place (1957) - Harry
- Miracle in Soho (1957) - Foreman
- Violent Playground (1958) - Chief Inspector
- A Night to Remember (1958) - Purser Ernest G. F. Brown, SS Carpathia (uncredited)
- Friends and Neighbours (1959) - George Wheeler
- Hell Is a City (1960) - Doug Savage
- Follow That Horse! (1960) - Rudd
- The Brain (1962) - Thomas Gabler
- The Wild and the Willing (1962) - 1st Customer
- The Cracksman (1963) - Fred
- Tom Jones (1963) - Mr. Fitzpatrick
- Nightmare (1964) - John
- The Bargee (1964) - Official in Office
- Ferry Cross the Mersey (1964) - Mr. Lumsden
- Life at the Top (1965) - Graffham
- Smashing Time (1967) - Irishman
- The Strange Affair (1968) - Supt. Kingley
- Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968) - Landlord
- Start the Revolution Without Me (1970) - Dr. Duval
- Cromwell (1970) - (scenes deleted)
- The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer (1970) - Blacket
- What Became of Jack and Jill? (1972) - Trouncer
- Bless This House (1972) - Mr Wilson
- The Vault of Horror (1973) - (scenes deleted)
- The Black Windmill (1974) - Pincus (uncredited)
- Dick Deadeye, or Duty Done (1975) - The Pirate King (voice)
- Trial by Combat (1976) - 2nd Leather Jerkin
- Red Monarch (1983) - State Sen. Walden
- "George A. Cooper". BFI.
- George Alphonsus Cooper obituary
- Guide, British Comedy. "About Billy Liar - British Comedy Guide". British Comedy Guide.
- "Billy Liar".
- "Staff 1978-1990 - Grange Hill Cast". www.grangehillevents.co.uk.
- "George A. Cooper".
- "George A. Cooper movies, photos, movie reviews, filmography, and biography - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- "George A. Cooper". TV Guide.
|This article about an English actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|