George Allen (Australian politician)
Allen was the son of Dr. Richard Allen, physician to George III, and was born in London in November 1800. He arrived in New South Wales in January 1816, and was the first attorney and solicitor admitted by the Supreme Court of New South Wales. This took place on 26 July 1822, and he had much difficulty in maintaining his status against the English-bred attorneys who desired to monopolise the practice.
He was elected an Alderman of the Brisbane Ward in the first corporation of the City of Sydney in 1842, acting as third Mayor of the city in 1846. In the latter year he was nominated to a seat in the old Legislative Council and was appointed honorary Police Magistrate of the City and Port. In 1856 he became a member of the present Legislative Council, and was elected Chairman of Committees, an office which he resigned in 1873, along with his membership of the Council of Education, which he had held since 1866. He assisted in founding Sydney College, and held office on the governing body for many years. In 1859 he was elected a member of the Senate of Sydney University, to which be bequeathed £1000 for a scholarship for proficiency in mathematics in the second year.
Marriage and family
He married Jane Bowden on 24 July 1823 and they had fourteen children but only five sons and five daughters survived past infancy.
- His eldest son was George Wigram Allen (16 May 1824 – 23 July 1885). As Sir George Wigram Allen KCMG he was Speaker of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly from 1875 until 1883.
- His youngest son was William Boyce Allen (4 August 1848 – 9 June 1929). He was born at Toxteth Park and was educated at Dr. Pendrlll's School and from 1865 at Newington College at Newington House on the Parramatta River. Following school he raised cattle in the far-west of New South Wales and after returning to Sydney became one of the first sworn valuators under the Real Property Act. Allen and his wife, Adelaide (née Hamburger), had four daughters and two sons.
- Cowper, Norman, 'Allen, George (1800–1877)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/allen-george-1696/text1831 Retrieved 13 August 2012
- Norman Cowper, Ruth Teale, 'Allen, Sir George Wigram (1824–1885)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 3, MUP, 1969, pp 24-25. Retrieved 2009-09-20
- "OBITUARY.". The Sydney Morning Herald. National Library of Australia. 11 June 1929. p. 15. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- Newington College Register of Past Students 1863–1998 (Syd, 1999) pp 3
- Mennell, Philip (1892). " Allen, Hon. George". The Dictionary of Australasian Biography. London: Hutchinson & Co. Wikisource