George Allen Mansfield
Born in 1834 in Sydney, his father, the Reverend Ralph Mansfield, had been a Methodist missionary. He was educated at the privately run school of Mr. W. T. Cape and then articled with the architect John Fredrick Hilly.
He married Mary Emma Allen, third daughter of prominent politician and solicitor George Allen, and had seven children. The family lived in Tranby, Glebe, which was designed by Mansfield. They then lived at Oakwood in Bridge Road From 1864 to 1869, and Lynedoch in Glebe Road from 1870 to 1879.
Mansfield was a lieutenant in the Glebe branch of the New South Wales Militia, a commissioner for Peace and an alderman for Glebe Council. Mansfield was also a member of the Royal Institute of British Architects, and the founder and first president of the Institute of Architecture NSW (now Australian Institute of Architects).
- Redfern Public School (now demolished)
- Cleveland Street Public School.
- Newcastle East Public School
- Mudgee Public School(part)
- The Old School, Darlington
- Castle Hill Public School, Sydney
- Rosebank College
- Sussex Street Primary School, Sydney
- Crown Street Public School
- Pyrmont Public School
- Toxteth Park for his inlaws
- Carthona, Darling Point
- 'The Warren' at Marrickville
- Coombing Park at Carcoar for the founders of Cobb and Co
- Australia Hotel (now demolished for the MLC Centre)
- several bank buildings for the Commercial Bank of Australia, now Westpac
- AMP offices in Pitt Street, Sydney
- Much of commercial building stock of O’Connell Street
- The Darling Harbour facilities of AGL Energy (now Demolished)
- Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Admission Block and Victoria & Albert Pavilions (1904)
- History House, Macquarie Street offices for the Royal Australian Historical Society
- Macleay Museum, (University of Sydney)
Royal Prince Alfred Hospital - Administration Building
Portrait shown here
- Sydney Morning Herald 21 Jan 1908 page 6.
- Glebe Walks.
- George Allen Mansfield Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- Sydney Morning Herald 21 Jan 1908.page 6.
- NSW chapter of the Australian Institute of Architects Webpage
- Planning department report for Red Fern Public School.
- Dictionary of Sydney.
- CBC officers Club Website.
- The Sydney Morning Herald Tuesday 21 January 1908 page 6.
- Glebe Walks Webpage.
- Royal Australian Historical Society Website.