Born in Windsor, he was educated at Selwyn College, Cambridge, where he gained his B.A. in 1924, followed by his M.A. in 1929. Meanwhile, he trained at St Augustine's College, Canterbury, subsequently he was ordained a deacon in 1925 and a priest at St Dunstan's, Stepney, the Stepney parish church, in 1926. After the curacy, he spent the next 20 years in Burma as a SPG missionary, ending this part of his ministry as Archdeacon of Rangoon before returning to England. He was next vicar of Headstone then rector of St Botolph's Aldgate. In 1962 he became Archdeacon of London and a canon of St Paul's Cathedral and a year later Archbishop of Perth. In 1969 he was translated to Jerusalem. He retired in 1974, and thereafter served as Assistant Curate at St Michael, Cornhill in the Diocese of London.
Appleton was married to Marjorie (Madge) in Holy Trinity Cathedral, Yangon (then Rangoon) in 1929. The couple has three children, Margaret, Timothy and Rachel. His wife died on 16 April 1980. He died on 28 August 1993.
- Glad Encounter. SPCK Publishing, 1978. ISBN 0281036071
- Daily prayer and praise. Westminster Press, 1978. ISBN 0664242510.
- Glimpses of Faith. Mowbray, 1982. ISBN 0264667883
- Prayers from a Troubled Heart. Fortress Pr, 1983. ISBN 0800617118.
- George Appleton (1984). The Quiet Heart: Prayers and meditations for each day of the year. Fortress Press. ISBN 978-0-8006-1789-9.
- Entry Into Life: Gospel Of Death. Darton, Longman Todd, 1985. ISBN 0232516006
- The Heart of the Bible. HarperCollins, 1986. ISBN 0-00-626797-1
- Journey For A Soul. 1986, ASIN B000S5KMS2.
- Jerusalem Prayers for the World Today. SPCK Publishing, 1986. ISBN 0281027757.
- Understanding The Psalms. Continuum International Pub., 1988. ISBN 0264669231.
- George Appleton (1989). Hour of Glory: Meditations on the Passion. Augsburg. ISBN 978-0-8066-2438-9.
- Unfinished: George Appleton Remembers and Reflects. HarperCollins, 1990. ISBN 0-00-215379-3.
- George Appleton (ed.) (2009). The Oxford Book of Prayer. Oxford: OUP. ISBN 978-0-19-956123-0. (first published by OUP 1985 ISBN 0-19-213222-9)
- NPG details
- Episcopal Diocese of Jerusalem Archived August 8, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "The Most Reverend George Appleton: The Fourth Archbishop of Perth (1963-1969)". Anglican Diocese of Perth. Retrieved 2014-08-05.
- Who Was Who 1897-2007 London, A & C Black, 2007 ISBN 978-0-19-954087-7
- Crockford's Clerical Directory; 1940-41. London: OUP, 1941
- Project Canterbury- Anglicanism in Burma
- Church web-site
- The Times, 14 March 1963; pg. 11; Issue 55649; col G Post For Canon Of St. Paul's
- New Archbishop In Jerusalem The Times 14 November 1968; pg. 12; Issue 57408; col F
- Amongst others he wrote “John’s Witness to Jesus”, 1955; “ On the Eightfold Path”, 1961; “Journey for a Soul”, 1974; “ Glimpses of Faith”, 1982; and “The Heart of the Bible” 1989 > British Library website accessed 17:18 GMT 17 July 2009
- Who was Who (ibid)
|Anglican Communion titles|
Oswin Harvard Gibbs-Smith
|Archdeacon of London
1962 – 1963
Martin Gloster Sullivan
Robert William Haines Moline
|Archbishop of Perth
1963 – 1969
Geoffrey Tremayne Sambell
Angus Campbell MacInnes
|Archbishop of Jerusalem
1969 – 1974