George Arthur Buttrick
George Arthur Buttrick
|Born||March 23, 1892|
|Died||January 23, 1980|
Louisville, Kentucky, U.S.
|Education||Victoria University of Manchester|
Buttrick served as a pastor in Quincy, Illinois, Rutland, Vermont, Buffalo, New York, and in 1927 he succeeded Henry Sloane Coffin as minister of the Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church in New York City.
Buttrick gave a lecture series at Yale University. From 1955 to 1960 he was Plummer Professor of Christian Morals and Preacher to the University at Harvard University. He was then a guest professor at the Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York and went on to teach at Garrett–Evangelical Theological Seminary in Evanston, Illinois. He later taught at Davidson College in Davidson, North Carolina, Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, and the Southern Baptist Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky.
Death and legacy
Buttrick died in 1980. His son, David G. Buttrick (1927–2017), was a Presbyterian minister who later joined the United Church of Christ and became the Drucilla Moore Buffington Professor of Homiletics and Liturgics at the Vanderbilt University Divinity School.
Frederick Buechner has often cited Buttrick as a central influence on his career, including his decision to become himself a Presbyterian minister.
- Parables of Jesus (1928)
- Jesus Came Preaching: Christian Preaching in the New Age (1931)
- Christian Fact and Modern Doubt (1934)
- Prayer (1942)
- Christ and Man's Dilemma (1946)
- So We Believe, So We Pray (1951)
- Faith and Education (1952)
- Sermons Preached in a University Church (1959)
- Biblical Thought and the Secular University (1960)
- Christ and History (1963)
- God, Pain, and Evil (1966)
- The Beatitudes, A Contemporary Meditation (1968)
- The Power of Prayer Today (1970)
- "George Arthur Buttrick, 87, Dies; Presbyterian Pastor and Scholar". The New York Times. January 24, 1980. Retrieved April 29, 2017.
- Theodore Alexander Gill, To God be the glory: sermons in honor of George Arthur Buttrick, Nashville, Tennessee: Abingdon Press, 1973, p. 11 
- Charles F. Kemp, Life-situation preaching, Bloomington, Minnesota: Bethany Press, 1956, p. 184 
- T. A. Prickett, The Story of Preaching, Bloomington, Indiana: AuthorHouse, 2011, pp. 80-81 
- "David G. Buttrick". The Tennessean. April 26, 2017. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
|This biography of a United States religious figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|