George Atkinson III
Atkinson in 2018 preseason.
|Born:||November 29, 1992|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||220 lb (100 kg)|
|High school:||Livermore (CA) Granada|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2017|
|Player stats at PFR|
George Henry Atkinson III (born November 29, 1992) is an American football running back who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Notre Dame. He signed with the Oakland Raiders as an undrafted free agent in 2014, and has also played for Cleveland Browns, Kansas City Chiefs, and New York Jets.
Atkinson attended Granada High School in Livermore, California, where he played high school football for the Matadors. He was selected Bay Area News Group athlete of the week after a win over Amador Valley High school football team. He participated in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl and served as captain of West team. He was selected to the all-metro first-team as a utility player in high school.
Atkinson was also a standout athlete on the school's track & field team, where he competed as a sprinter. As a sophomore in 2009, he finished third in the 100 meters (10.66s) and fourth in the 200 meters (21.46s) in the finals of the state meet, and placed second in the prelims of the 200 meters with a career-best time of 21.30 seconds. He did not continue running track after being removed from the track team his Junior year for violating the teams anti doping policy.
After graduating from high school, Atkinson played college football at Notre Dame. Atkinson was selected to the Freshman All-American second-team by Phil Steele and was an honorable mention All-American by SI.com as a kickoff returner.
As a Notre Dame collegiate, he joined the track & field team. He ran a personal-best time of 6.85 seconds in the 60 meters at the 2012 GVSU Big Meet, placing third in the prelims. He ran a career-best time of 10.36 seconds in the 100 meters at the 2012 Big East Championships, placing second in the prelims.
On May 16, 2014, Atkinson signed with the Oakland Raiders as an undrafted free agent. On August 30, 2014, he was released by the team. On September 1, 2014, Atkinson re-signed with team to join practice squad. On November 29, 2014, the Raiders signed him to the active roster.
On September 5, 2015, Atkinson was waived by the Raiders. On September 7, 2015, he was signed to the Raiders' practice squad. On September 22, 2015, Atkinson was released by the Raiders. On November 17, he was re-signed to the practice squad.
On September 3, 2016, Atkinson was released by the Raiders as part of final roster cuts.
The Cleveland Browns claimed Atkinson off waivers on September 4, 2016. Atkinson made in regular season debut at running back in the Week 17 season finale against the Pittsburgh Steelers. He had seven rushes for 34 yards and his first career rushing touchdown in the 27–24 overtime loss. On July 28, 2017, the Browns waived Atkinson.
Oakland Raiders (second stint)
Kansas City Chiefs
Atkinson was signed to the Kansas City Chiefs' practice squad on September 19, 2017. He signed a reserve/future contract with the Chiefs on January 10, 2018. He was waived on April 4, 2018.
New York Jets
- "Rotoworld Profile". rotoworld.com.
- "Notre Dame Profile". und.com. Archived from the original on September 5, 2014.
- "George Atkinson III headlines Raiders undrafted free agent signings". nbcsports.com. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "Raiders cut Little, Ross to get to 53". washingtonpost.com. Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- "George Atkinson III makes Raiders' practice squad". mercurynews.com. Retrieved September 1, 2014.
- Damien, Levi. "Raiders send Carlos Rogers to IR, confirm George Atkinson III activation". Silver and Black Pride. Retrieved November 29, 2014.
- "Oakland Raiders Announce 53-Man Roster". Raiders.com. September 5, 2015. Retrieved October 9, 2015.
- "Raiders Establish Practice Squad". Raiders.com. September 7, 2015. Retrieved October 9, 2015.
- "Oakland Raiders Claim CB David Amerson via Waivers from Washington Redskins". Raiders.com. September 22, 2015. Retrieved October 9, 2015.
- "Oakland Raiders Announce Transactions". Raiders.com. September 3, 2016.
- "Browns claim 5 players, sign 4 to practice squad". ClevelandBrowns.com. September 4, 2016.
- "George Atkinson III". ESPN.com. Retrieved January 18, 2018.
- "Browns sign RB Brandon Wilds". ClevelandBrowns.com. July 28, 2017.
- "Raiders Claim George Atkinson III Via Waivers". Raiders.com. July 29, 2017.
- "Raiders Announce Transactions". Raiders.com. September 2, 2017. Archived from the original on December 9, 2017.
- Roesch, Wesley (September 19, 2017). "Chiefs shuffle practice squad, sign three players". USAToday.com.
- "Chiefs sign all 10 practice squad players to reserve/futures deals". USAToday.com. January 10, 2018.
- "Chiefs Waive RB George Atkinson". April 4, 2018.
- Greenberg, Ethan (July 29, 2018). "Jets Sign RB George Atkinson, Waive TE Bucky Hodges". NewYorkJets.com.
- Lange, Randy (August 31, 2018). "Jets Cut 18 Players on Their Way to 53-Player Active Roster". NewYorkJets.com.