George Bass (archaeologist)
December 9, 1932|
Columbia, South Carolina
|Institutions||Texas A&M University|
George Fletcher Bass (born December 9, 1932 in Columbia, South Carolina) is recognized as one of the early practitioners of underwater archaeology, along with Peter Throckmorton, Honor Frost, and others.
Bass was the director of the first archaeological expedition to entirely excavate an ancient shipwreck: Cape Gelidonya (1960). Since directing his first excavation, he has excavated shipwrecks of the Bronze Age, Classical Age, and the Byzantine. Bass is professor emeritus at Texas A&M University, where he held the George T. and Gladys H. Abell Chair in Nautical Archaeology. He holds an M.A. in Near Eastern Archaeology from The Johns Hopkins University and a Ph.D. in Classical Archaeology from the University of Pennsylvania.
In 1973 Bass founded the Institute of Nautical Archaeology (INA). INA has conducted some of the most important excavations of the twentieth century, and its findings throw new light into areas as diverse as the beginning of the free enterprise system, the dating of Homer's Odyssey, chronologies of Egyptian dynasties and Helladic cultures, and the histories of technology, economics, music, art and religion.
- Archaeological Institute of America's Gold Medal for Distinguished Archaeological Achievement (1986)
- Explorers Club Lowell Thomas Award
- National Geographic Society La Gorce Gold Medal
- National Geographic Society Centennial Award
- J. C. Harrington Medal (1999) from the Society for Historical Archaeology
- Honorary doctorate from Boğaziçi University in Istanbul
- Honorary doctorate from the University of Liverpool
- National Medal of Science (2001). It was presented by President George W. Bush in a White House East Room ceremony on June 12, 2002.
- Lucy Wharton Drexel Medal for Achievement in Archaeology (2010) from the University of Pennsylvania
- Beneath the Seven Seas : Adventures with the Institute of Nautical Archaeology by George Fletcher Bass (London : Thames & Hudson, 2005) ISBN 0-500-05136-4 OCLC: 60667939
- Archaeology Under Water by George Fletcher Bass (New York, Praeger, 1966) OCLC: 387479
- Archaeology Beneath the Sea by George Fletcher Bass (New York : Walker, 1975) ISBN 0-8027-0477-8 OCLC: 1414901
- A History of Seafaring Based on Underwater Archaeology by George Fletcher Bass (New York, Walker, 1972)ISBN 0802703909 OCLC: 508334
- Ships and Shipwrecks of the Americas: a history based on underwater archaeology by George Fletcher Bass (New York, N.Y. : Thames and Hudson, 1988) ISBN 0-500-05049-X OCLC: 18759167
- Cape Gelidonya: a Bronze Age Shipwreck by George Fletcher Bass (Philadelphia, American Philosophical Society, 1967) OCLC: 953382
- Navi e Civiltà : Archeologia Marina by George Fletcher Bass (Milano : Fratelli Fabri, 1974) OCLC: 8201972
- Yassi Ada by George Fletcher Bass and Frederick H Van Doorninck (College Station : Published with the cooperation of the Institute of Nautical Archaeology by Texas A&M University Press, ©1982) ISBN 0-89096-063-1 OCLC: 7925092
- Geschiedenis van de scheepvaart weerspiegeld in de scheepsarcheologie by George Fletcher Bass (Bussum : Unieboek, 1973) ISBN 90-228-1908-6 OCLC: 64115385
- Serce Limani, vol. 1: the ship and its anchorage, crew, and passengers by George Fletcher Bass and others (College Station: Published with the cooperation of the Institute of Nautical Archaeology by Texas A&M University Press, 2004) ISBN 0-89096-947-7 OCLC: 56457232
- Beneath the wine dark sea : nautical archaeology and the Phoenicains of the Odyssey by George F Bass OCLC: 41174856
- A diversified program for the study of shallow water searching and mapping techniques by George F Bass; Donald M Rosencrantz; United States Dept. of Navy, Office of Naval Research; University of Pennsylvania, University Museum (Philadelphia, Pa.: The University Museum, University of Pennsylvania, 1968) OCLC: 61423407
- Glass treasure from the Aegean by George Fletcher Bass (Washington: National Geographic Society, 1978) OCLC: 13594255
- Shipwrecks in the Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archaeology by George Fletcher Bass and Bodrum Sualtı Arkeoloji Müzesi (Bodrum : Museum of Underwater Archaeology, 1996) ISBN 975-17-1605-5 OCLC: 35759537
- New tools for undersea archeology by George Fletcher Bass (v. 134, no. 3 (Sept. 1968) (Washington, D.C. : National Geographic Society, ©1968 OCLC: 57758351
- Archäologie unter Wasser by George Fletcher Bass (Bergisch Gladbach: Lübbe, 1966) OCLC: 73584270
- Marine archaeology: a misunderstood science by George Fletcher Bass (Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press, ©1980) OCLC: 13598481
- Tesori in fondo al mare by George Fletcher Bass (Milano: Sonzogno, 1981) OCLC: 46996362
- George Fletcher Bass (1967). Cape Gelidonya: a bronze age shipwreck. American Philosophical Society.
- George Fletcher Bass, Ph.D. http://nauticalarch.org/about/key_figures/bass/
- Linda Ellis (16 December 2003). Archaeological Method and Theory: An Encyclopedia. Taylor & Francis. pp. 208–. ISBN 978-1-135-58283-8.
- "Awards and Prizes". Society for Historical Archaeology. Retrieved September 30, 2016.
- National Science Foundation
- "Contents Unknown". This American Life. January 22, 2010. Retrieved January 29, 2014.