George Brown Goode
|George Brown Goode|
George Brown Goode
|Born||13 February 1851|
|Died||6 September 1896 (aged 45)|
|Institutions||Biological Society of Washington|
George Brown Goode (13 February 1851 – 6 September 1896), was an ichthyologist, although most of his time was spent as a museum administrator and he was very interested in the history of science, especially the history of the development of science in America. Goode graduated from Wesleyan University and studied at Harvard University.
In 1872, he started working with Spencer Baird, soon becoming his trusted assistant. While working with Baird, Goode led research sponsored by the United States Fish Commission, and oversaw many Smithsonian displays and exhibitions, for the museum itself and for expositions around the world; Goode's first of these were the preparations for the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition, for which the Smithsonian was responsible for all the government displays. He also served as the assistant secretary of the Smithsonian Institution in charge of the United States National Museum.
Goode effectively ran both the fish research program of the U.S. Fish Commission and the Smithsonian Institution from 1873 to 1887. He was the United States Commissioner for Fish and Fisheries from 1887 to 1888. He authored many books and monographs and wrote more than 100 scientific reports and notes.
Goode was a member of the National Academy of Sciences and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He received from the Queen Regent of Spain the decoration of Commander in the Royal Order of Ysabel la Catolica. He also was awarded the degree of Ph.D. from Indiana University and that of LL.D. from Wesleyan University. He died at Lanier Heights in Washington, D.C., on September 6, 1896, at the age of only 45, after a bout with pneumonia. He had been at work on a history of the Smithsonian's first fifty years, which were being celebrated in 1896. The then head of the Smithsonian, Samuel Pierpont Langley, completed the volume and wrote a memorial to Goode, published in 1901.
Species named after him include:
- Bluefin killifish, Lucania goodei Jordan, 1880.
- Southern eagle ray, Myliobatis goodei Garman, 1885.
- Goode croaker, Paralonchurus goodei Gilbert, 1898.
- Quillfish, Ptilichthys goodei Bean, 1881.
- Chilipepper, Sebastes goodei (Eigenmann & Eigenmann, 1890).
- Palometa, Trachinotus goodei Jordan & Evermann, 1896.
Publications in Ichthyology and Fisheries
- George Brown Goode & Tarleton Hoffman Bean. "Oceanic Ichthyology, A Treatise on the Deep-Sea and Pelagic Fishes of the World, Based Chiefly upon the Collections Made by the Steamers Blake, Albatross, and Fish Hawk in the Northwestern Atlantic (Washington, 1896)". National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Archived from the original on 5 November 2005. Retrieved 9 April 2006.
- The Fisheries and Fishery Industries of the United States, 7 volumes. (Washington, 1884–1887)
- American Fishes; a Popular Treatise upon the Game and Food Fishes of North America, with Especial Reference to Habits and Methods of Capture (New York, 1888)
Publications about Museums
- “Museum-History and Museums of History”
- “The Museums of the Future”
- “The Principles of Museum Administration”
(All are available in A Memorial of George Brown Goode)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-11. Retrieved 2010-11-10.
- Langley, Samuel P. (1901). A Memorial of George Brown Goode: together with a selection of his papers on museums and on the history of science in America. (Washington: Government Printing Office)
- "Review of American Fishes by G. Brown Goode". Science. XI (278): 265. 1 June 1888.
- Alexander, Edward M. (1983). Museum Masters: Their Museums and Their Influence (Nashville: American Association for State and Local History).
- "The Origins of Natural Science in America: Essays of George Brown Goode," ed. with intro. by Sally Gregory Kohlstedt (Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1991).
- Works by or about George Brown Goode at Internet Archive
- Works by George Brown Goode at LibriVox (public domain audiobooks)
- Works written by or about George Brown Goode at Wikisource
- George Brown Goode page from the Smithsonian's Division of Fishes website
- The George Brown Goode Papers at the University of Virginia
- George Brown Goode Papers at the Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Samuel P. Langley's A Memorial of G. Brown Goode 1901 on GoogleBooks
- National Academy of Sciences Biographical Memoir