George Bruce Malleson
Educated at Winchester, he obtained a cadetship in the Bengal infantry in 1842, and served through the second Burmese War. His subsequent appointments were in the civil line, the last being that of guardian to the young maharaja of Mysore. He retired with the rank of colonel in 1877, having been created C.S.I. in 1872.
He was a voluminous writer, his first work to attract attention being the famous "Red Pamphlet", published at Calcutta in 1857, when the Sepoy Mutiny was at its height. He continued, and considerably rewrote the History of the Indian Mutiny 1857-8 (6 vols., 1878-1880), which was begun but left unfinished by Sir John Kaye. Among his other books the most valuable are History of the French in India (2nd ed., 1893) and The Decisive Battles of India (3rd ed., 1888).
- Charles Allen (of the Bengal Civil Service); George Bruce Malleson (1858). A few words anent the 'red' pamphlet (i.e. The mutiny of the Bengal army, by G.B. Malleson) by one who has served under the marquis of Dalhousie (i.e. C. Allen).
- History of the Indian Mutiny, 1857-1858: Commencing from the close of the second volume of Sir John Kaye's History of the Sepoy War. Full text online at ibiblio.org (All six volumes, including the first two originally by Sir John Kaye, in HTML form, complete, chapter-by-chapter, with all illustrations, footnotes and a combined index)
- The Decisive Battles of India from 1746 to 1849. Pub. 1883. Full text online at ibiblio.org (In HTML form, complete, chapter-by-chapter, with all illustrations and footnotes)
- Akbar and the Rise of the Mughal Empire. Pub. 1896. Full text online at ibiblio.org (In HTML form, complete, chapter-by-chapter, with all illustrations and footnotes)
- Archive.org - History of the French in India
- History of Afghanistan, from the Earliest Period to the Outbreak of the War of 1878. Pub. 1879. 2nd ed. London: W.H. Allen & Co. A translation of this work was used for training British military interpreters in the Pashto language.
- Lloyd 1901.
- H. P. (1891). "Akbar (Rulers of India) by G. B. Malleson; Dupleix by G. B. Malleson". Revue Historique 47 (2): 387–393. JSTOR 40938228.
- H. P. (1895). "Lord Clive, (Rulers of India) by G. B. Malleson". Revue Historique 59 (2): 404–408. JSTOR 40939319.
- History of Afghanistan: Official Text-Book for the Examination of Military Officers in Interpretership Pushtu. World Digital Library, January 13, 2015.
This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Lloyd, Ernest Marsh (1901). "Malleson, George Bruce". In Sidney Lee. Dictionary of National Biography, 1901 supplement. London: Smith, Elder & Co.
- "Malleson, George Bruce". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/17886. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
Find more about
George Bruce Malleson
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Source texts from Wikisource|
|Data from Wikidata|
- Works by George Bruce Malleson at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about George Bruce Malleson at Internet Archive