George Bures Miller
|George Bures Miller|
Imbalance.6 (Escape Velocity), 1998, mixed media with compressed air, pneumatic pistons, electronic circuit
1960 (age 57–58)|
Vegreville, Alberta, Canada
|Education||Ontario College of Art, University of Alberta|
|Known for||Sculpture, installation, electronic art|
|Notable work||Paradise Institute, 2001 (with Janet Cardiff)|
George Bures Miller (born 1960) is a Canadian artist noted for his collaborative works with his wife Janet Cardiff. Miller and Cardiff represented Canada at the 2001 Venice Biennale. They are based in British Columbia, Canada.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
Works with Janet Cardiff
Bures Miller and Cardiff represented Canada the 49th Venice Biennale with Paradise Institute (2001), a 16-seat movie theatre where viewers watched a film, becoming entangled as witnesses to a possible crime played out in the real world audience and on the screen. The artists won La Biennale di Venezia Special Award at Venice, presented to Canadian artists for the first time and the Benesse Prize, recognizing artists who break new artistic ground with an experimental and pioneering spirit. Cardiff and Bures Miller have recently had exhibitions at Fraenkel Gallery, San Francisco (2018), Modern Art Oxford (2008), the Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh, Scotland (2008) Vancouver Art Gallery (2005), Luhring Augustine, New York (2004), Contemporary Arts Center, Cincinnati (2003), Art Gallery of Ontario (2002), National Gallery of Canada (2002) and Oakville Galleries, Oakville, Ontario (2000).
- Cardiff, Janet and George Bures Miller. The Killing Machine and Other stories 1995 - 2007. Texts by Ralph Beil and Bartomeo Mari and other authors. MACBA Barcelona and Mathildenhohe Darmstadt, 2007. ISBN 978-3-7757-2002-1
- Cardiff, Janet and George Bures Miller. Janet Cardiff & George Bures Miller: Louisiana Contemporary. Michael Juul Holm and Mette Marcus (eds). Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, Denmark, 2006. ISBN 87-91607-32-9
- Cardiff, Janet and George Bures Miller. The Secret Hotel. Janet Cardiff + George Bures Miller. Kunsthaus Bregenz and Eckgard Schneider (eds). Buchhandlung Walther Koenig, 2005. ISBN 3-86560-014-X
- Cardiff, Janet and George Bures Miller. Janet Cardiff & George Bures Miller – Venice Biennial – The Paradise Institute. Texts by Wayne Baerwald. Buchhandlung Walther Koenig, 2001. ISBN 0-921381-23-9
- Miller, George Bures. George Bures Miller – Simple Experiments in Aerodynamics: 6 & 7. Texts by Wayne Baerwaldt & Dana Samuel. Toronto: Mercer Union, A Centre for Contemporary Art, 2001. ISBN 0-921527-41-1
- Smith, Roberta. "Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller." The New York Times (March 2004): E33.
- "The Poetry Machine and Other Works | Fraenkel Gallery". Fraenkel Gallery. Retrieved 2018-05-02.