George C. Adams
Adams pictured on the Harvard football team, c. 1886
April 24, 1863|
|Died||July 13, 1900
|Alma mater||Harvard University (1886)|
|Position(s)||End, rusher, halfback|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Head coaching record|
George Caspar Adams (April 24, 1863 – July 13, 1900) was a former head coach of the Harvard University football program from 1890 to 1892. From 1890 to 1892, he co-coached with George A. Stewart, another Harvard graduate.
George Adams was born in 1863 in Boston to John Quincy Adams II and Fannie Cadwallader Crowninshield. His father, born to Charles Francis Adams, Sr., was the grandson of 6th President of the United States John Quincy Adams and great-grandson of 2nd President of the United States, John Adams. His mother, Fanny Crowninshield, was also a granddaughter of former United States Secretary of the Navy under presidents Madison and Monroe, Benjamin Williams Crowninshield.
George Caspar Adams attended the Adams Academy before entering Harvard in 1882, where he graduated with an A.B. in 1886. During his time at Harvard, Adams played a vital role in reinstating the football program in 1886 for Harvard by heading a petition movement to the administration. Once the season was granted, Adams played on the team and assisted in managing and coaching it.
In 1890, Adams, along with another fellow alumnus, George A. Stewart (Class of 1884) were appointed as coaches for the Harvard football program of the upcoming season. In their first season, the team went 11–0, winning the national championship, also with five players being named All-Americans. The appointment of Adams and Stewart is widely regarded to be the beginning of an organized coaching system at Harvard. He later worked in real estate in Boston. He was also a recreational yachtsman who belonged to many yacht clubs.
Head coaching record
|Harvard Crimson (Independent) (1890–1893)|
|National championship Conference title Conference division title|
Adams family tree
- American presidential families - Hugh Brogan, Charles Mosley - Google Books. Books.google.ca. Retrieved 2012-12-07.
- Browning, Charles Henry. Americans of Royal Descent: A Collection of Genealogies of American Families Whose Lineage is traced to the Legitimate Issue of Kings. Philadelphia: Porter & Costes, 1891, ed. 2, pp. 68 – 69.
- Secretary's Report - Harvard College (1780- ). Class of 1886 - Google Books. Books.google.ca. Retrieved 2012-12-07.
- Outing - Google Books. Books.google.ca. Retrieved 2012-12-07.
- National Magazine - James Harrison Kennedy - Google Books. Books.google.ca. Retrieved 2012-12-07.
- "Harvard : Media Center: Harvard Crimson Football - National Championships". Gocrimson.com. Retrieved 2012-12-06.
- Harvard Magazine - Google Books. Books.google.ca. Retrieved 2012-12-06.