|Nickname||Chicken George, Gorgeous George|
30 June 1978 |
Auckland, New Zealand
|Height||180 cm (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||91 kg (14 st 5 lb) |
|As of 4 October 2009|
|Source: RLP, NRL Stats|
George Carmont (born 30 June 1978 in Auckland, New Zealand) is a retired professional rugby league footballer. Carmont last played for the Wigan Warriors of the Super League competition. He primarily played at centre.
Carmont was educated at De La Salle College, Mangere East.
Newcastle Knights (2004–2007)
Carmont made his professional rugby league debut for the Newcastle Knights. He appeared in 83 games and scored 33 tries along with becoming a popular player with the fans.
Wigan Warriors (2008–2012)
The Samoan captain was expected to join either Harlequins RL or Wigan for the 2008 season with the latter seen as the more likely destination after the London side seemingly agreed a deal to sign David Vaealiki before the centre was confirmed as a new signing for Manly. On 27 November 2007, it was announced that Carmont had signed a two-year deal with European Super League club Wigan Warriors. Carmont was named in the Super League Dream Team for 2008's Super League XIII.
2011's Super League XVI for Wigan started with a Magic Weekend match against St. Helens, in which Carmont scored one try. He followed this up with another try against Bradford Bulls in Round 2 late in the match. His next score was made in a loss against Catalans Dragons in Round 8, before touching down a week later against Hull Kingston Rovers in Round 9.
Carmont played for Wigan in the 2011 Challenge Cup Final at centre, helping defeat Leeds 28-18.
Carmont was selected in the Samoa squad for the 2008 Rugby League World Cup. He appeared in three matches for Samoa and scored two tries. He is eligible for the United States national rugby league team through his American Samoan heritage.
- Junior Club: Otahuhu Leopards
- Debut First Grade Match: Newcastle v Melbourne 11/03/04
- "Wigan Warriiors Player Profile George Carmont". web page. wiganwarriors.com. Retrieved 16 August 2011.
- "Quins to snap up Vaealiki". Wigan Today. 2007-11-22. Retrieved 2007-11-24.
- "Vaealiki signs for the Sea Eagles". Manly Sea Eagles Official Website. 2007-11-26. Retrieved 2007-11-27.
- "Wigan sign Samoa centre Carmont". BBC Sport. 2007-11-27. Retrieved 2007-11-27.
- "2008 engage Super League Dream Team". Super League. 2008-09-15. Retrieved 2008-09-26.
- Bott, Richard (14 February 2011). "St Helens 16 Wigan 16: Wilkin finds spark as Saints haul back Warriors". Daily Mail. Retrieved 5 May 2011.
- "Bradford 10-44 Wigan". BBC. 20 February 2011. Retrieved 5 May 2011.
- "Warriors torched by Dragons". Sky Sports. 8 April 2011. Retrieved 5 May 2011.
- "Hull KR 16-28 Wigan". BBC. 15 April 2011. Retrieved 5 May 2011.
- "Slater scoops player award". Sky Sports. 3 November 2011. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- "Samoa, Tonga and Fiji name squads". BBC. 2008-10-08. Retrieved 2008-10-09.
- "Warrington dominate Exiles picks for Origin fixture". bbc.co.uk. 2011-05-04. Retrieved 2011-05-04.
- Wigan Warriors profile
- George Carmont Wigan Career Page on the Wigan RL Fansite.
- George Carmont Scoring Record