Gheorghe Copos
March 27, 1953
|Education||Pedagogy, Law school|
|Alma mater||University of Oradea|
Ștefan Gheorghiu Academy
|Known for||Owner of FC Rapid Bucharest|
He is the owner of a chain of confectionery shops, a chain of electronics shops, several hotels. He owned the football club Rapid Bucureşti between 1992 and 2013.
Copos was a member of the Conservative Party and between December 2004 and January 2006, he was a vice-prime-minister and State Minister in charge with coordination of the activities in the field of business environment and small and medium-sized enterprises in the Tăriceanu government.
On January 21, 2006, he resigned from the Conservative Party amid a corruption scandal. He maintained, however, his function as vice prime-minister and State Minister in the government. He also resigned from the government in June 2006, maintaining his function as a senator.
Football transfer conviction
On March 4, 2014, a Romanian appeals court sentenced him to 3 years and 8 months in prison for fraud, tax evasion and money laundering in connection with Rapid Bucharest football player transfers; he was also ordered to repay the equivalent of USD 690,000 to the football club and the Romanian state.
"The Lottery" conviction
- "Povestea neştiută a lui George Copos, aşa cum reiese din dosarul său de cadre" (in Romanian). Romania libera. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- "UASCR+UTC = DE CE?!" (in Romanian). Cotidianul. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- "SENTINŢĂ ÎN DOSARUL TRANSFERURILOR. Copos - 3 ani şi 8 luni de închisoare cu executare/MM Stoica - 3 ani şi 6 luni, Borcea - 6 ani şi 4 luni, Ioan Becali 6 ani şi 4 luni" "ULTIMA ORĂ. SENTINŢĂ ÎN DOSARUL TRANSFERURILOR. Copos - 3 ani şi 8 luni de închisoare cu executare/MM Stoica - 3 ani şi 6 luni, Borcea - 6 ani şi 4 luni, Ioan Becali 6 ani şi 4 luni" Check
|url=value (help) (in Romanian). Gândul. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- "Fraţii Becali, Copos, MM Stoica, Borcea, Popescu, Neţoiu şi Pădureanu, CONDAMNAŢI la ÎNCHISOARE CU EXECUTARE" (in Romanian). Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- (in Romanian). Gândul http://www.evz.ro/george-copos-asteapta-in-inchisoare-sentinta-in-dosarul-loteria-i.html. Retrieved March 5, 2014. Missing or empty
- (in Romanian) Gheorghe Copos' blog
|This article about a Romanian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|