George Coulouris (computer scientist)
|Born||15 November 1937|
New York City
|Known for||Content Addressable File Store, Em Unix text editor, Distributed Systems textbook|
|Institutions||Queen Mary, University of London|
University of Cambridge
Imperial College London
George F. Coulouris is a British computer scientist and the son of actor George Coulouris. He is an emeritus professor of Queen Mary, University of London and is currently Visiting Professor in Residence at University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory. He is co-author of a textbook on distributed systems. He was instrumental in the development of ICL's Content Addressable File Store (CAFS) and he developed em, the Unix editor, which inspired Bill Joy to write vi.
In 1971 he joined Queen Mary College as a lecturer. He became a reader in 1973 and a professor in 1978. He retired from Queen Mary in 1998, and has been a visiting professor at the University of Cambridge since.
Prof Coulouris's name is of Greek heritage, as he is the son of actor George Coulouris, whose father was a Greek immigrant to Britain married to an English woman. George Coulouris's sister was artist Mary Louise Coulouris.
- Naguib, H.; Coulouris, G.; Mitchell, S. (2002). "Middleware Support for Context-aware Multimedia Applications". New Developments in Distributed Applications and Interoperable Systems. IFIP International Federation for Information Processing. Vol. 70. p. 9. doi:10.1007/0-306-47005-5_2. ISBN 0-7923-7481-9.
- Coulouris, G. F.; Evans, J. M.; Mitchell, R. W. (1972). "Towards Content-Addressing in Data Bases". The Computer Journal. 15 (2): 95. doi:10.1093/comjnl/15.2.95.
- Vance, Ashlee (11 September 2003). "Bill Joy's greatest gift to man – the vi editor". The Register. Archived from the original on 18 August 2012. Retrieved 30 June 2012.
- Coulouris, George. "Bits of History". Queen Mary, University of London. Archived from the original on 2 March 2012. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- George Coulouris publications indexed by Microsoft Academic
- "George Coulouris, Emeritus Professor of Computer Systems". Queen Mary, University of London. Archived from the original on 22 April 2012. Retrieved 30 June 2012.
- "Professor George Coulouris". University of Cambridge. Archived from the original on 5 August 2012. Retrieved 30 June 2012.
- Glenn Collins, "George Coulouris, 85, is Dead: Actor Relished Villainous Roles," New York Times (27 April 1989).