March 13, 1896 
Athens, Greece 
|Died||1983 (aged 86–87)|
|Alma mater||Harvard College '18, Boston University Law School '24 |
George Demeter (//; 1896–1983) is the author of Demeter's Manual of Parliamentary Law and Procedure. The second Wednesday in April has been designated as George Demeter Day in Massachusetts.
Demeter served in the Massachusetts House of Representatives for two terms in 1932 and 1934 representing the Back Bay district. Demeter was the first Greek-American to serve in the Massachusetts House of Representatives, building on the unsuccessful bid of Greek-American Nicholas G. Veniopoulos Nestor in 1922, who had gained the Republican nomination.
Demeter became involved with the national Greek-American service organization AHEPA soon after it was founded on July 26, 1922. He was President of the Boston Lodge in 1923. After Supreme President H. N. Wells was voted out of office in March 1924, he assumed the role of Supreme President of AHEPA for three months.
While serving as Supreme President he contributed an editorial to the 1924 convention edition of "The Ahepa" entitled "Why Greek Organizations Fail!" Sometime during this period between 1920 and 1940, Demeter was president of the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral of New England. At the 27th Supreme Convention in 1949, AHEPA adopted Demeter's Manual of Parliamentary Law and Procedure for its own use. Demeter continued to be active in AHEPA as a Past Supreme President. He participated through at least the 47th Supreme Convention in 1969.
Demeter was involved in the decision to include the Greek traditions of a laurel wreath and bronze medal in the Boston Marathon. He crowned the winner of each race and gave them a medal from Greece for each marathon from 1931 to 1947.
- Demeter's Manual of Parliamentary Law and Procedure, 2nd edition, 1949
- Demeter's Manual of Parliamentary Law and Procedure, 3rd revised edition, 1950, Bostonia Press.
- Demeter's Manual of Parliamentary Law and Procedure, Universal edition, 1953, Bostonia Press.
- Demeter's Manual of Parliamentary Law and Procedure, Universal Revised, 1961, Bostonia Press.
- Demeter's Manual of Parliamentary Law and Procedure, Blue Book edition, 1969, Little, Brown and Company.
- How to Master the Rules of Parliamentary Law and Procedure, 1948, Mosher Press.
- Main Motion, 3rd edition, 1943, Bostonia
- Master Parliamentarian, 1948, Bostonia
- Parliamentary Procedure for Boy's State, 1949, Bostonia
- Parliamentary Procedure for Girl's State, 4th edition, 1942, Bostonia
- Ahepa Manual: Official Guide of the Order of Ahepa, Containing Early History and Miscellaneous Fundamentals of the Order, 1926, Boston: Athens Print. Co.
- "Public officials of Massachusetts". The Causeway Print. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- Coughlin, William (17 March 1983). "GEORGE DEMETER, 90; WAS LAWYER, STATE LEGISLATOR, PARLIAMENTARIAN". Boston Globe. Retrieved 18 April 2012.
- Demeter, George (1969). Demeter's Manual of Parliamentary Law and Procedure, Blue Book
- "Prominent Speakers to Be Heard at Ahepa Banquet". Lowell Sun. 23 March 1938. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- "St. George Cathedral Community History". Archived from the original on 8 May 2012. Retrieved 18 April 2012.
- Leber 1972, p. 162.
- Leber 1972, p. 172.
- Matsoukas, Nick John (4 July 1935). A Letter from the Southwest. Saloniki-Greek Press. Retrieved 18 April 2012.
- Leber 1972, p. 173.
- Gussis, Christopher. "The Historic Boston Greek Cathedral -- Reliving 100 Years". Archived from the original on 25 August 2012. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- Leber 1972, p. 371, 375.
- Leber 1972, p. 506.
- "Ahepans Happily Celebrate Greek Independence Anniversary". Lowell Sun. 28 March 1938. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Offer Schooling To Legislators". Spokane Daily Chronicle. 18 December 1936. Retrieved 18 April 2012.
- Leber, George J. (1972). The History of the Order of Ahepa. Washington, D.C.: The Order of Ahepa.