George E. Mendenhall
|George Emery Mendenhall|
August 13, 1916|
Muscatine, Iowa, U.S.
|Died||August 5, 2016
Ann Arbor, Michigan, U.S.
|Nationality||United States of America|
|Education||Midland College (B.A., 1936)
Western Theological Seminary
Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg (B.D., 1938)
Johns Hopkins University (Ph.D., 1947)
Ordained Lutheran Minister
|Employer||University of Michigan|
|Notable work||Law and Covenant in Israel and the Ancient Near East Pittsburgh
The Tenth Generation: The Origins of the Biblical Tradition
Ancient Israel’s Faith and History: An Introduction the Bible in Context
Our Misunderstood Bible
Mendenhall graduated from Midland College in Nebraska in 1936, and from Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg in 1938. Mendenhall was first an ordained Lutheran minister, and during World War II he served as an intelligence officer in the United States Navy. After the war, Mendenhall obtained a Ph.D. in Semitic languages from Johns Hopkins University and began a career in Ancient Near Eastern and Biblical studies as well as related archeology. He was professor at the University of Michigan from 1952 to 1986. The University of Michigan honored Mendenhall by creating the "George E. Mendenhall Professor Emeritus of Ancient and Biblical Studies".
The Tenth Generation proposed that the Ancient Israelite settlement was actually the result of a cultural-religious egalitarian revolution within Canaanite society, rejecting the views it was either a military conquest or a process of peaceful sedentism. It was popular with some New Left scholars in the mid 1970s. Mendenhall died in August 2016, just 8 days short of his 100th birthday.
- Law and Covenant in Israel and the Ancient Near East Pittsburgh: The Biblical Colloquium, 1955.
- The Tenth Generation: The Origins of the Biblical Tradition Johns Hopkins, 1973.
- Ancient Israel’s Faith and History: An Introduction the Bible in Context (Edited by Gary A. Herion) Westminster John Knox Press, 2001.
- Our Misunderstood Bible BookSurge Publishing, 2006
- The Quest for the Kingdom of God: Studies in Honor of George E. Mendenhall Eisenbrauns, 1983.
- Law and Covenant in Israel and the Ancient Near East - George Mendenhall
- William G. Dever (31 March 2006). Who Were the Early Israelites and Where Did They Come From?. Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing. ISBN 978-0-8028-4416-3. p.52–53.
- Mention of Mendenhall's death
- Staff (2016-08-07). "George Mendenhall Obituary". Ann Arbor News. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: George E. Mendenhall|