George Howe Ripley
June 22, 1926
Washington, D.C., U.S.
|Died||September 14, 2017 (aged 91)|
Palm Springs, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter|
(m. 1953; div. 1979)
(m. 1980; div. 1992)
|Relatives||Jack Albertson (uncle)|
Mabel Albertson (mother)
Anabel Englund (granddaughter)
George Englund (June 22, 1926 – September 14, 2017) was an American film editor, director, producer and actor.
Englund, the son of actress Mabel Albertson and nephew of actor Jack Albertson, was born as George Howe Ripley in Washington, D.C. His father was Harold Austin Ripley. After his parents' divorce, his mother remarried, to Ken Englund, whose surname young George adopted. Englund was married to actress Cloris Leachman from 1953-79. They had five children: Adam, Bryan (died 1986), George, Jr., Morgan and Dinah. His mother was Jewish.
Selected directorial filmography
- The Ugly American (1963)
- Signpost to Murder (1965)
- Zachariah (1971)
- Snow Job (1972)
- A Christmas to Remember (1978, TV movie)
- The Vegas Strip War (1984, TV movie)
Englund died at his home on September 14, 2017 at the age of 91 following a fall.
- George Englund on IMDb
- Berkvist, Robert (May 2, 1973). "Jack Spreads A Little Sunshine" – via NYTimes.com.
- "Cinema: Marlon Brando by George Englund – Times Online". The Times. London, UK. July 17, 2005. Retrieved December 16, 2010.
- Englund, George. The Way It's Never Been Done Before: My Friendship With Marlon Brando. New York: Harper Collins Publishers, 2004; ISBN 0-06-078630-2; retrieved February 21, 2013.
- George Englund obituary, legacy.com; accessed May 2, 2018.