George Bass (archaeologist)
December 9, 1932|
Columbia, South Carolina
|Institutions||Texas A&M University|
Bass was the director of the first archaeological expedition to entirely excavate an ancient shipwreck: Cape Gelidonya (1960). Since directing his first excavation, he has excavated shipwrecks of the Bronze Age, Classical Age, and the Byzantine. Bass is professor emeritus at Texas A&M University, where he held the George T. and Gladys H. Abell Chair in Nautical Archaeology. He holds an M.A. in Near Eastern Archaeology from The Johns Hopkins University and a Ph.D. in Classical Archaeology from the University of Pennsylvania.
- Archaeological Institute of America's Gold Medal for Distinguished Archaeological Achievement (1986)
- Explorers Club Lowell Thomas Award
- National Geographic Society La Gorce Gold Medal
- National Geographic Society Centennial Award
- J. C. Harrington Medal (1999) from the Society for Historical Archaeology
- Honorary doctorate from Boğaziçi University in Istanbul
- Honorary doctorate from the University of Liverpool
- National Medal of Science (2001). It was presented by President George W. Bush in a White House East Room ceremony on June 12, 2002.
- Lucy Wharton Drexel Medal for Achievement in Archaeology (2010) from the University of Pennsylvania
- Beneath the Seven Seas : Adventures with the Institute of Nautical Archaeology by George Fletcher Bass (London : Thames & Hudson, 2005) ISBN 0-500-05136-4 OCLC: 60667939
- Archaeology Under Water by George Fletcher Bass (New York, Praeger, 1966) OCLC: 387479
- Archaeology Beneath the Sea by George Fletcher Bass (New York : Walker, 1975) ISBN 0-8027-0477-8 OCLC: 1414901
- A History of Seafaring Based on Underwater Archaeology by George Fletcher Bass (New York, Walker, 1972)ISBN 0802703909 OCLC: 508334
- Ships and Shipwrecks of the Americas: a history based on underwater archaeology by George Fletcher Bass (New York, N.Y. : Thames and Hudson, 1988) ISBN 0-500-05049-X OCLC: 18759167
- Cape Gelidonya: a Bronze Age Shipwreck by George Fletcher Bass (Philadelphia, American Philosophical Society, 1967) OCLC: 953382
- Navi e Civiltà : Archeologia Marina by George Fletcher Bass (Milano : Fratelli Fabri, 1974) OCLC: 8201972
- Yassi Ada by George Fletcher Bass and Frederick H Van Doorninck (College Station : Published with the cooperation of the Institute of Nautical Archaeology by Texas A&M University Press, ©1982) ISBN 0-89096-063-1 OCLC: 7925092
- Geschiedenis van de scheepvaart weerspiegeld in de scheepsarcheologie by George Fletcher Bass (Bussum : Unieboek, 1973) ISBN 90-228-1908-6 OCLC: 64115385
- Serce Limani, vol. 1: the ship and its anchorage, crew, and passengers by George Fletcher Bass and others (College Station: Published with the cooperation of the Institute of Nautical Archaeology by Texas A&M University Press, 2004) ISBN 0-89096-947-7 OCLC: 56457232
- Beneath the wine dark sea : nautical archaeology and the Phoenicains of the Odyssey by George F Bass OCLC: 41174856
- A diversified program for the study of shallow water searching and mapping techniques by George F Bass; Donald M Rosencrantz; United States Dept. of Navy, Office of Naval Research; University of Pennsylvania, University Museum (Philadelphia, Pa.: The University Museum, University of Pennsylvania, 1968) OCLC: 61423407
- Glass treasure from the Aegean by George Fletcher Bass (Washington: National Geographic Society, 1978) OCLC: 13594255
- Shipwrecks in the Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archaeology by George Fletcher Bass and Bodrum Sualtı Arkeoloji Müzesi (Bodrum : Museum of Underwater Archaeology, 1996) ISBN 975-17-1605-5 OCLC: 35759537
- New tools for undersea archeology by George Fletcher Bass (v. 134, no. 3 (Sept. 1968) (Washington, D.C. : National Geographic Society, ©1968 OCLC: 57758351
- Archäologie unter Wasser by George Fletcher Bass (Bergisch Gladbach: Lübbe, 1966) OCLC: 73584270
- Marine archaeology: a misunderstood science by George Fletcher Bass (Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press, ©1980) OCLC: 13598481
- Tesori in fondo al mare by George Fletcher Bass (Milano: Sonzogno, 1981) OCLC: 46996362
- George Fletcher Bass (1967). Cape Gelidonya: a bronze age shipwreck. American Philosophical Society.
- George Fletcher Bass, Ph.D. http://nauticalarch.org/about/key_figures/bass/
- Linda Ellis (16 December 2003). Archaeological Method and Theory: An Encyclopedia. Taylor & Francis. pp. 208–. ISBN 978-1-135-58283-8.
- "Awards and Prizes". Society for Historical Archaeology. Retrieved September 30, 2016.
- National Science Foundation
- "Contents Unknown". This American Life. January 22, 2010. Retrieved January 29, 2014.