George Francis Atkinson
|George Francis Atkinson|
January 26, 1854|
Raisinville, Michigan, United States
|Died||November 14, 1918
Tacoma, Washington, U.S.A.
|Occupation||Mycologist, botanist, entomologist, ornithologist, naturalist, photographer, writer|
|Spouse(s)||Elizabeth ("Lizzie") S. Kerr|
|Children||Francis Kerr Atkinson and Clara Packard Atkinson|
|Parent(s)||Joseph Atkinson and Josephine Fish|
He was born January 26, 1854 in Raisinville, Michigan and died on 14 November 1918. He was the son of Joseph and Josephine Atkinson (née Fish). He studied at Olivet College from 1878 to 1883 and obtained his Bachelor's degree from Cornell University in 1885. He is best known for his contributions to the fields of mycology and botany.
He was assistant professor of entomology and zoology from 1885 to 1886, and associate professor in 1886 to 1888 at the University of North Carolina. He was a professor of botany and zoology at the University of South Carolina from 1888 to 1889 and a botanist at the Experiment Station of the University. From 1889 to 1892 he taught biology at the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama; from 1892 to 1893 he was assistant professor of cryptogamic botany at Cornell University, then associate professor (1893–1896), and from 1896, Chairman of the Botany Department. He was President of the Botanical Society of America in 1907, and was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in the Spring of 1918. His herbarium of fungus specimens are stored at the Cornell Plant Pathology Herbarium (CUP).
- Atkinsonella Diehl
- Amanita atkinsoniana Coker
- Armillaria atkinsoniana (Coker) Locq.
- Boletus atkinsonianus
- Calonectria atkinsonii
- Cercospora atkinsonii
- Ceriomyces atkinsonianus
- Conocybe atkinsonii
- Corticium atkinsonii
- Cortinarius atkinsonianus
- Galerina atkinsoniana
- Ganoderma atkinsonii
- Kirschsteiniothelia atkinsonii
- Kneiffia atkinsonii
- Lachnocladium atkinsonii
- Mycena atkinsoniana
- Mycena atkinsonii
- Peniophora atkinsonii
- Phaeophleospora atkinsonii
- Phlebia atkinsoniana
- Puccinia atkinsoniana
- Puccinia atkinsonii
- Pulveroboletus atkinsonianus
- Ramaria atkinsonii
- Scoleciasis atkinsonii
- Scoleconectria atkinsonii
- Makers of American Botany, Harry Baker Humphrey, Ronald Press Company, Library of Congress Card Number 61-18435
- WG Farlow, LH Bailey, R Thaxter (1919). "George Francis Atkinson". American Journal of Botany 6 (7): 301–302. JSTOR 2434981.
- Thom, Charles (1956). "George Francis Atkinson 1854-1918" (PDF). National Academy of Sciences Biographical Memoir.
- "Author Query for 'G.F.Atk.'". International Plant Names Index.
- National Academy of Sciences Biographical Memoir
- Works by George Francis Atkinson at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about George Francis Atkinson at Internet Archive