George G. McMurtry
Captain George G. McMurtry
November 6, 1876|
|Died||November 22, 1958(aged 82)|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||1898, 1917 - 1919|
|Unit||2nd Battalion, 308th Infantry, 77th Division|
World War I
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Prior to World War I, McMurtry fought in Theodore Roosevelt's Rough Riders during the Spanish-American War and participated in the Battle of San Juan Hill. When the Rough Riders were disbanded, he returned to Harvard College, graduating in 1899. Like Charles Whittlesey, he was also a Wall Street lawyer. He would later make millions of dollars in the stock market after the war.
McMurtry is buried in Bar Harbor, Maine within Ledgelawn Cemetery.
In popular culture
- Charles White Whittlesey
- List of Medal of Honor recipients
- List of Medal of Honor recipients for World War I
- The Lost Battalion
- "The Lost Battalion". Joe McCarthy. Retrieved February 20, 2008.
- Medal of Honor Recipients on Film
- Beyond Hollywood.com Review. Retrieved June 12, 2015.
- The Lost Battalion (2001) on the Internet Movie Database. Retrieved June 12, 2015.
- "The Lost Battalion of World War I". Retrieved September 29, 2010.