George Gray Bell
|George Gray Bell|
May 24, 1920|
|Died||October 15, 2000
|Awards||O.C., M.B.E., C.D. CD,|
|Other work||soldier, civil servant, and academic|
He served in the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps in the Netherlands and Germany. After World War II, he remained in the army serving in different positions eventually becoming a Brigadier-General. In 1972, he received a Ph.D. in International Relations from McGill University. In 1973, he became Assistant Deputy Minister to the Minister of the Treasury, Economics and Intergovernmental Affairs in the Government of Ontario. In 1976, he became Executive Vice-President and Professor of Strategic Studies at York University. He helped found and was the first President of the Canadian Institute of Strategic Studies. He was a founding director of the Canadian Institute for International Peace and Security (CIIPS) from 1984 until its dissolution in 1987.
After his retirement, he was the Honorary President of the RCAC Association. He was a senior research fellow at York University until 1996.
In 1988, he was awarded the Officer of the Order of Canada "An outstanding citizen, he has served Canada well throughout a long military career, a continuing connection with public life and the academe... [H]e has made major contributions to many organizations with the primary aim of preserving the security of Canada."
The Canadian International Council awards the Brigadier-General George G. Bell Strategic Leadership Shield in recognition of the qualities of outstanding intellectual leadership, inspiration in strategic studies and promoting public awareness of international security interests. The Canadian International Council holds the George G. Bell Strategic Leadership Award Dinner.
The George Gray Bell fonds at York University (1964–92) consists of records documenting his career, minutes of meetings, correspondence, working papers, reports, and reference and research materials.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to George Gray Bell.|
- "George G. Bell fonds". Retrieved October 22, 2006.
- 4237 Dr. Adrian Preston & Peter Dennis (Edited) "Swords and Covenants" Rowman And Littlefield, London. Croom Helm. 1976.
- H16511 Dr. Richard Arthur Preston "To Serve Canada: A History of the Royal Military College of Canada" 1997 Toronto, University of Toronto Press, 1969.
- H16511 Dr. Richard Arthur Preston "Canada's RMC - A History of Royal Military College" Second Edition 1982
- H16511 Dr. Richard Preston "R.M.C. and Kingston: The effect of imperial and military influences on a Canadian community" 1968
- H1877 R. Guy C. Smith (editor) "As You Were! Ex-Cadets Remember". In 2 Volumes. Volume I: 1876-1918. Volume II: 1919-1984. Royal Military College. [Kingston]. The R.M.C. Club of Canada. 1984